RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#83 :: Wednesday, 15 May 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#83 :: Wednesday, 15 May 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Euronews.com: Georgi Asatryan, How the West still continues to misunderstand Putin’s Russia and Putinism. – euronews.com/2019/05/14/how-the-west-still-continues-to-misunderstand-putin-s-russia-and-putinism-view]
2. Moscow Times: Putin’s New Energy Security Doctrine Preaches Self-Reliance. Updated plan tackles sanctions and global demand.
3. Moscow Times: Elizabeth Buchanan, The U.S., Not Russia Is the New Spoiler in the Arctic. Arctic cooperation will, however, weather Cyclone Trump.
4. Moscow Times: In Russia’s Arctic, Oil Majors and Reindeer Herders Are Coming Together. Sustainable development and cooperation are replacing encroachment on pastures.
5. TASS: Media: What lies ahead for Russia-US relations.
6. Washington Post: Trump, Russia seek to use end of Mueller investigation as pivot point in relationship. Putin calls Mueller investigation ‘objective’
7. Russia Matters: Pompeo in Russia: Key Takeaways on Bilateral Priorities.
8. Asia Times: Pepe Escobar, What Putin and Pompeo did not talk about. Russia is uneasy over the destabilization of Tehran, and on other hotspots the powers’ positions are clear.
9. Trud: Russian pundits view prospects of improving relations with US.
10. Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov’s remarks and answers to media questions at a joint news conference following talks with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Sochi, May 14, 2019.
11. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Mueller Wasn’t the Main Problem Between Trump and Putin. The two still don’t have anything to offer each other.
12. Lawfare: Raphael S. Cohen and James Dobbins, What Ronald Reagan Can Teach Us About Dealing With Contemporary Russia.
13. The National Interest: Lyle Goldstein, Trump Should Uphold Arms Control, Not Destroy It. A recent Russian flight over sensitive U.S. strategic sites demonstrates that Eisenhower’s legacy for arms control lives on. Such mechanisms are needed now more than ever.
14. Reuters: In Limbo-The Dirty Russian Oil No One Wants to Pay For.
15. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: US-China trade war may be blessing in disguise for Russia.
16. Oilprice.com: Russia Could Take Hold Of China’s Entire Gas Market.
17. Valdai Discussion Club: Andrei Tsygankov, The Global Economic Reshuffle: USA, China and Russia.
18. Foreign Affairs: Andrea Kendall-Taylor and David Shullman, A Russian-Chinese Partnership Is a Threat to U.S. Interests. Can Washington Act Before It’s Too Late?
19. The Duran: Does Russia hold the key to long term peace in Korea?. Russia currently does very little trade with North Korea. But this could easily be increased as a reward for DPRK fulfilling its promises to disarm itself of its nuclear weapons. – theduran.com/does-russia-hold-the-key-to-long-term-peace-in-korea/
20. Asia Times: Alexander Kruglov, Putin’s ploy to turn Turkey steams ahead. Warm relations between Erdogan and the Russian leader are based on growing military, trade, energy and tourism ties – and poor Western plays.
21. Awful Avalanche: Crime and Punishment: The Collaborators – Part VI. – awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2019/05/15/crime-and-punishment-the-collaborators-part-vi/
22. RFE/RL: Judge Orders Florida-Based Broadcast Company To Register As Agent For Russia.
23. The American Conservative: Peter Van Buren, Op-Ed-O-Matic: Write Doomsday Screeds Like the Pros. As long as haters believe Trump is bringing about the End Times you too can make a buck writing about it.
4. Consortiumnews.com: Daniel Lazare, The Conspiracy Theory’s Four Monstrous Offspring Russia-gate has shed any premise of being about Russian interference, writes Daniel Lazare, but the idea that America may in anyway be responsible for its own fate is of course unthinkable. – consortiumnews.com/2019/05/14/the-conspiracy-theorys-four-monstrous-offspring/
25. Sharon Tennison: Russia: Travel with a Purpose.