RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#80 :: Friday, 10 May 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#80 :: Friday, 10 May 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Jacobin: Branko Marcetic, From Russiagate to Gunboat Diplomacy. Russiagate hysteria is already being used to push Trump into an act of armed aggression against Venezuela. It’s a disastrous result of a pointless delusion.
2. PRI.org: Natalia Antonova, Russia’s role in WWII isn’t ‘part of our collective memory’
3. Counterpunch.org: Abel Cohen, Thank Russia for Winning World War II. – counterpunch.org/2019/05/10/thank-russia-for-winning-world-war-ii/
4. PONARS Eurasia: Ivan Kurilla, Memory of the War and Other Memories in Russia, 2019.
5. Kennan Institute: Ivan Trudolyubov, Who Is Mr. Ivanov: Why Russia’s Middle Class Today Is Different.
6. Russian and Eurasia Politics: Gordon Hahn, Once More About ‘Putin’s Rehabilitation of Stalin’: UPDATE2 – THE ZHUKOV DRAFT REPORT AND MORE.
7. The Daily Beast: Anna Nemtsova, As Russia Celebrates Hitler’s Defeat, Stalin’s Ghost Is Haunting Putin. Russians have been encouraged to see Hitler as a tyrant, but Stalin as their defender. Now some wish Stalin were still around.
8. The Economist: Workers of Russia, unite! Russian trade unions get political. Alexander Navalny, the opposition’s leading figure, is hoping to widen his appeal.
9. Brookings: Samuel Freije-Rodriguez, Aleksandra Posarac, and Apurva Sanghi, Can Russia halve poverty by 2024?
10. www.rt.com: US Secretary of State Pompeo to meet Russia’s President Putin & Foreign Minister Lavrov on May 14.
11. Asia Times: As sanctions loom, Russia keeps North Korea at work. UN sanctions barring the employment of North Korean labor come into force in December but it’s unclear if Russia will really uphold the punitive measure.
12. Al-Monitor: How Trump’s ‘maximum pressure’ campaign is bringing Iran and Russia closer together.
13. TASS: Making peace treaty agreement with Japan remains difficult task – Lavrov.
14. The National Interest: Lyle Goldstein, China Is Learning from Russian Military Interactions with the United States. A Chinese analysis contends that U.S. defense strategy will not only spark a great power arms race, but will have an unpredictable and negative impact on regional security in the Indo-Pacific region.
15. Moscow Times: Was the Mayor of Latvia’s Capital Ousted Because He Was Corrupt, or Russian?. The case has exposed rifts between the Baltic nation’s Latvian and Russian-speaking communities.
16. Transitions Online: For Ukrainian Politicians, All Roads Lead to K Street. Incoming President Zelenskiy’s pledge to make a total break with the past could be costly for Washington consultants.
17. Sic Semper Tyrannis: Larry Johnson, Glaring Omissions and Misrepresentations in Mueller’s Report. – turcopolier.typepad.com/sic_semper_tyrannis/2019/05/the-mueller-report-cites-three-questionable-events-as-the-foundation-for-the-special-counsel-investigation-june-2016-the.html#more
18. The Grey Zone: America in denial: Gabor Maté on the psychology of Russiagate . Physician, mental health expert, and best-selling author Dr. Gabor Maté sits down with The Grayzone’s Aaron Maté to analyze how Russiagate was able to take hold of U.S. society following Donald Trump’s election. – thegrayzone.com/2019/05/07/gabor-mate-russiagate-interview-transcript/#more-8099
19. CNN.com: Comey says it’s possible the Russians have something compromising on Trump.
20. www.craigmurray.org.uk: Craig Murray, The Real Muellergate Scandal. – craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2019/05/the-real-muellergate-scandal/