RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#77 :: Tuesday, 7 May 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#77 :: Tuesday, 7 May 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Moscow Times: 3% of Russians Trust Officials’ Income Declarations – Poll.
2. TASS: Poll shows every second Russian plans to participate in Victory Day celebrations.
3. Bloomberg: Putin’s Health-Care Cuts Spark Protests in Russian Heartland. The country has 100 billionaires, and yet more than a third of Russians can’t afford to buy two pairs of shoes a year.
4. www.rt.com: Ban Russians from US, sanction sports teams & target Putin, says ex-NATO commander.
5. Atlantic Council; Anders Aslund, The Illusions of Putin’s Russia.
6. PONARS Eurasia: Samuel Greene and Graeme Robertson, What Makes Putin Putin?
7. Bear Market Blog: Morgan Stanley is leaving Russia.
8. www.rt.com: Phasing out the dollar: Russia significantly increases ruble share in export settlements with BRICS.
9. TASS: Ukraine should brace for fuel shortages following Russia’s oil export ban – analyst.
10. TASS: Izvestia: Top Russian, US diplomats discuss ‘real politics’ during meeting in Finland.
11. TASS: Vedomosti: China reluctant to negotiate nuclear disarmament with US, Russia.
12. Forbes.com: Hans Kristensen, Is The Pentagon Exaggerating Russian Tactical Nuclear Weapons?
13. Russia Matters: Summary of “Drivers of Russian Grand Strategy” by Michael Kofman. – russiamatters.org/analysis/drivers-russian-grand-strategy
14. Wall Street Journal: Gerald Seib, Putin Punches Above His Weight. Russian president’s global strategy keeps Moscow’s tentacles in enough places that the Kremlin is ensured a seat at every table that matters.
15. www.thedailybeast.com: Inside the West’s Plans for Arctic War Against Russia. Moscow is growing belligerent in its quest to pry open the icy route to the Atlantic. The U.S. and Britain are racing to catch up, but is it too late? (excerpt)
16. Newsweek: U.S. PLAN IN VENEZUELA IS NOT WORKING, BUT RUSSIA MAY NOT BE TO BLAME.
17. Russia Beyond: How Hollywood feeds lies about Soviet history – rbth.com/arts/330320-how-hollywood-feeds-lies-about-ussr
18. Meduza: 2019’s top Russia-related books ‘Meduza’ has your reading list for the next 10,000 years. (excerpt)
19. New York Times: Ross Douthat, A Spy by Any Name. A few questions about the F.B.I.’s don’t-call-it-spying on the Trump campaign.
20. The New Kremlin Stooge: Mark Chapman, Loose-Screw McKew, and America’s Learning Disability – thenewkremlinstooge.wordpress.com/2019/05/06/loose-screw-mckew-and-americas-learning-disability/
21. Washington Post: Paul Waldman, Trump is counting on Russian help to get reelected.