RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#73 :: Wednesday, 1 May 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#73 :: Wednesday, 1 May 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. TASS: Russian scientists explain difference between ice thawing in Eurasian, American Arctic.
2. Wall Street Journal: Mikhail Gorbachev, The Madness of Nuclear Deterrence. The dangers have only become more acute in the decades since I tried to convince Thatcher.
3. www.rt.com: Well done, Comrade Belugov! Did ‘Russian Navy whale’ trick Norwegians into seizing spy harness? – rt.com/news/457826-russian-navy-beluga-norway/
4. Russia Beyond: What is education in Russia like? A U.S. teacher investigates. – rbth.com/education/330304-education-in-russia
5. TASS: Izvestia: Russian MPs to introduce ‘Butina List’ to punish US officials.
6. TASS: Russian national Butina talks about harsh conditions in US prison.
7. Moscow Times: Vladimir Gelman, Brave Digital World: Alternatives for Russia. Without a major overhaul of the country offline, technology alone won’t save the country.
8. Vedomosti: Russian daily views reverse effect of disrespecting authorities law.
9. London Review of Books: Tony Wood, Russia’s Oppositions.
10. Greenpeace.org: How Russian cities are cleaning up their air.
11. Carnegie Moscow Center: Andrei Kolesnikov, The Split in Russia’s Civil Society. The wave of landfill protests sweeping Russia is something new on the country’s political map. Fierce and intransigent, they have become a thorn in the side of the authorities-at least at a local level-and demonstrate a new kind of civic activism: one born out of garbage and demolition waste.
12. Intellinews.com: Russia drops out of the world’s top five military spenders for first time since 2006.
13. TASS: RBC: Russia no longer ranked among top five global military spenders.
14. Wall Street Journal: Walter Russell Mead, Can China Dislodge Russia in Central Asia? In one former Soviet republic, Beijing’s blandishments get it only so far.
15. Council on Foreign Relations: Scott Snyder, Where Does the Russia-North Korea Relationship Stand? Russian President Putin reiterated the importance of denuclearization during last week’s summit, but did not provide visible sanctions relief for North Korean leader Kim.
16. Valdai Discussion Club: Alexey Maslov, Russia and DPRK: Awaiting a Post-Sanctions World. – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/russia-and-dprk-awaiting-a-post-sanctions-world/
17. Reuters: Putin Suddenly Sacks Russian Envoy to Belarus Amid Oil Row.
18. Asia Times: Richard Giragosian, Armenia: regime change model for Russia’s orbit. A year after Velvet Revolution, people power movement sets transition example in Moscow-dominated region
19. Valdai Discussion Club: Mary Dejevsky, Ukraine’s New President Will Be a Challenge for the West, Too. – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/ukraine-s-new-president-will-be-a-challenge/
20. Russian International Affairs Council: How Ukraine Will Change After Zelensky’s Victory. In a blitz interview, RIAC experts spoke about possible changes to Ukraine’s foreign and domestic policies following Volodymyr Zelensky’s victory in the presidential elections. – russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/interview/how-ukraine-will-change-after-zelensky-s-victory/
21. Paul Goble: Ukraine’s New Language Law ‘Best Gift to Putin’ Since Russian Invasion Began, Pastukhov Says.
22. Reuters: Putin expands list of Ukrainians and others eligible for fast-tracked Russian passports.
23. Russia Matters: Simon Saradzhyan, Key to Putin’s Passport Offers to Ukrainians? Russia’s Shrinking Labor Force.
24. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Thanks, Putin, But Ukrainians Won’t Want Russian Passports. A provocative citizenship offer from the Kremlin challenges Ukraine’s new president to work on making all citizens feel welcome.
25. Wall Street Journal: David Satter, Collusion or Russian Disinformation? How Moscow manipulated U.S. media, lawmakers and intelligence services into propagating a wild theory.
26. The American Conservative: Peter Van Buren, 15 Questions Robert Mueller Must Answer. Why the cryptic wording on the Steele Dossier? Why wasn’t Trump given an opportunity to defend himself in court?
27. Russia Insider: Valeria Nollan, The US Owes Russia an Apology over the RussiaHoax – I’m Not Holding my Breath. – russia-insider.com/en/us-owes-russia-apology-over-russiahoax-im-not-holding-my-breath/ri26894
28. The Real News Network: From Jim Crow Kentucky to Red Square – RAI with Stephen Cohen (4/5) – therealnews.com/stories/from-jim-crow-kentucky-to-red-square-rai-with-stephen-cohen-4-5
29. Paul Goble: 10,000 Windows on Eurasia.