RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#72 :: Monday, 29 April 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#72 :: Monday, 29 April 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Russia Beyond: 7 best contemporary drama movies from Russia and about Russia. – rbth.com/arts/330271-7-best-contemporary-drama
2. Russia Beyond: Maria Butina gets jail term in the U.S. Here is what you need to know. – rbth.com/lifestyle/330294-maria-butina-jail-nra-gop-russia-us-guns
3. www.rt.com: Butina’s sentence ‘criminalizes what thousands of international students abroad do’ – rt.com/news/457666-butina-sentence-students-criminalized/
4. RFE/RL: Back In Parliament After Abrupt Release From Jail, Savchenko Praises Zelenskiy.
5. Intellinews.com: Putin’s popularity rises mildly in April, but governors’ popularity rises dramatically.
6. Bear Market Blog: Sustaining Public Support.
7. The National Interest: Andrew Rennemo, Russia’s Crafty Financial Crimes Have Become a Foreign Policy Problem. The West has legitimate grievances with the Kremlin, including Crimea, the Skripal poisoning, cyber meddling, and election interference. But it would be a mistake to allow an impasse over these issues to impede engagement on financial crime that could yield tactical and strategic benefits.
8. Intellinews.com: Russia opens criminal investigation in dirty export oil whodunit.
9. www.rt.com: Sanction game payoff: US dollar losing its luster in Russia’s foreign trade.
10. Brookings: Steven Pifer, With US-Russian arms control treaties on shaky ground, the future is worrying.
11. Defense News: U.S. rolls ‘100K tons of international diplomacy’ into the Med. Will Russia get the message? (excerpt)
12. The National Interest: Doug Bandow, Should Trump Worry About the Putin-Xi Meeting? The Chinese-Russian bilateral relationship is better than at many points in the past, but it remains superficial.
13. Kremlin.ru: News conference following working visit to China.
14. Asia Times: Pepe Escobar, The New Silk Roads reach the next level. The Beijing leadership seems to be aware that transparency is key for the global success of BRI, which is now supported by over 120 states and territories.
15. Learning From China: John Ross, What is really behind Trump’s obsession with Russia. – learningfromchina.net/what-is-really-behind-trumps-obsession-with-russia/
16. Financial Times: Polar powers: Russia’s bid for supremacy in the Arctic Ocean. As climate change opens northern shipping lanes, Moscow is spending billions to dominate the region.
17. Valdai Discussion Club: Hoo Chies-Ping, Russia-North Korea Summit in Vladivostok: Opening the Nesting Doll of Strategic Interests. – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/russian-dprk-summit-in-vladivostok-unpacking/
18. Russian International Affairs Council: Marlene Laruelle and Andrey Kortunov, Envisioning Opportunities for U.S.-Russia Cooperation in and with Central Asia. PDF: russiancouncil.ru/papers/Russa-USA-CentralAsia-Laruelle-Kortunov-Paper.pdf
19. Awful Avalanche: Finally! DPR/LPR Residents Can Apply For Russian Passports – Part III. – awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2019/04/27/finally-dpr-lpr-residents-can-apply-for-russian-passports-part-iii/
20. www.rt.com: Passport sparring: Putin ‘welcomes’ idea of giving UKRAINIAN citizenship to Russians. – rt.com/news/457820-putin-zelensky-passport-sparring/
21. Interfax: Center for issuing Russian passports to LPR residents starts working in test mode in Rostov region.
22. Interfax-Ukraine: Putin hopes can find common language with Zelenskiy.
23. Paul Goble: ‘Look at Us: Everything is Possible’ – Zelensky’s Existential Challenge to Putinism.
24. Washington Post: Mitchell Orenstein, Ukraine elected a sitcom president. What can Western politicians learn from this script? Voters were drawn to Volodymyr Zelensky’s comedic wit – but also his flexibility.
25. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, Ukrainian Spring or Maidan Constitutional Crisis.
26. www.rt.com: Trump’s envoy to Ukraine is paid by none other than Poroshenko himself. (re Kurt Volker) – rt.com/news/457554-envoy-ukraine-volker-poroshenko/
27. TASS: RBC: US launches investigation into Ukraine’s meddling in 2016 presidential campaign.
28. Moon of Alabama: Russia Think Tank Study Shows How To Overextend And Unbalance The U.S. of A.. The Russian institute for Research and Analysis for National Defense (RAND) recently assessed how to further damage the United States. – moonofalabama.org/2019/04/russia-think-tank-study-shows-how-to-overextend-and-unbalance-the-us-of-a.html#more
29. Washington Post: There’s a new alleged Russian spy. It’s a beluga whale.
30. The Conversation: Jennifer Grygiel, How to avoid accidentally becoming a Russian agent.
31. The Unz Review: C.J. Hopkins, Obstructiongate! – unz.com/chopkins/obstructiongate/
32. The Nation: Aaron Mate, The Mueller Report Indicts the Trump-Russia Conspiracy Theory. The real Russiagate scandal is the damage it has done to our democratic system and media.