RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#55 :: Tuesday, 2 April 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#55 :: Tuesday, 2 April 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Russia Reviewed: Question of the day (the decade?)
2. The Independent (UK): Mary Dejevsky, Comedian Volodymyr Zelensky may have played Ukraine’s president on TV – but could he really run the country? How far will voters distinguish between Zelensky the real-life candidate and the fictional small-time schoolmaster-turned-president whose secretly taped anti-corruption rant propelled him to the top job?
3. Interfax: Ukrainian voters tired of atmosphere of hatred in country – Center for Current Politics director on outcome of first round of election.
4. Valdai Discussion Club: Oleg Baravanov, Elections in Ukraine: Who Will Be the Worst President for Russia? – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/elections-in-ukraine-who-will-be-the-worst-preside/
5. TASS: Poroshenko to fight tooth and nail in Ukrainian presidential election runoff – analysts.
6. Carnegie Moscow Center: Konstantin Skorkin, Ukrainian Candidates Set to Haggle Ahead of Presidential Runoff. The clash between the new populism of Zelenskiy, who staked everything on Russian-speaking Ukraine, and Poroshenko’s national-patriotic conservatism is leading to a partial resumption of the old standoff between the two Ukraines.
7. TASS: Voter bribery is Poroshenko’s main tactic in Ukraine’s presidential election – analyst.
8. Kyiv Post: Brian Bonner, 5 ways that Poroshenko can still win.
9. www.rt.com: Bryan MacDonald, Ukraine election: The West’s Poroshenko gamble blows up as joker Zelensky tops poll. – rt.com/op-ed/455280-ukraine-elections-poroshenko-west/
10. TASS: Zelensky may become president, but his role will be downgraded to ceremonial – analyst.
11. Foreign Policy: Alexander Motyl, Ukraine’s TV President Is Dangerously Pro-Russian. Volodymyr Zelensky could become the country’s next real-life leader. If his show is any guide, Ukrainians should be worried.
12. Foreign Affairs: Melinda Haring, Will a Comic Actor Become Ukraine’s Next President? Why Volodymyr Zelenskiy Won the First Round of Elections.
13. Moscow Times: Alexei Levinson, Corruption Dies Hard in Russia. Studies show that Russians believe that a state free of high- level corruption cannot exist.
14. Moscow Times: Tatyana Stanovaya, The End of Political Stability in the Regions. Last week’s arrest of former Khabarovsk governor Viktor Ishayev is a sign that the Kremlin is losing influence over the provinces.
15. Paul Goble: Russian Opposition Now Not Heir to the Soviet Dissent It Believes Itself to Be, Podrabinek Says.
16. Interfax: Serebrennikov’s house arrest prolonged by another 3 months.
17. Bloomberg: Russia Revises Up 2018 Growth Data in Boost for Putin Target.
18. TASS: Izvestia: Russians do not want to unify with Belarus.
19. The Diplomat: Ankit Panda, After the Collapse With Trump in Hanoi, Will Kim Turn to Putin? As U.S.-North Korea diplomacy falters, will Kim Jong Un look to boost ties with Russia?
20. AP: Elections looming, Netanyahu to head to Moscow to meet Putin.
21. Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Article by Andrei Krutskikh, Ambassador at Large of the Russian Federation, Special Presidential Representative for international cooperation in information security.
22. Valdai Discussion Club: Andrey Sushentsov, Mueller Probe and Russia-US Relations – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/mueller-probe-and-russia-us-relations/
23. Washington Post: Christian Caryl, Let’s empower Russians who are fighting Putin’s propaganda.
24. The Grayzone: A Very Incomplete List of Sinister Things Vladimir Putin/Russia/’the Russians’ Have Been Accused of Doing.
25. Tablet: Lee Smith, System Fail. The Mueller Report is an unmitigated disaster for the American press and the ‘expert’ class that it promotes.
26. https://caitlinjohnstone.com: Caitlin Johnstone, Leaked Mueller Report Proves Barr Lied; Collusion Theorists Vindicated. (April 1) – caitlinjohnstone.com/2019/04/01/leaked-mueller-report-proves-barr-lied-collusion-theorists-vindicated/
27. The Hill: John Solomon, Joe Biden’s 2020 Ukrainian nightmare: A closed probe is revived.
28. Awful Avalanche: Interesting Stuff About the Russian Alphabet. – awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2019/03/30/interesting-stuff-about-the-russian-alphabet/
29. The National Interest: Tom Nichols, Billions Dead: 5 Times Russia and America Nearly Started a Nuclear War. Some history that should never be forgotten.
[first appeared in 2014]