RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#49 :: Monday, 25 March 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#49 :: Monday, 25 March 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Twitter: Michael McFaul, “Just because it’s not criminal conspiracy does not make it right. It is wrong to meet with Russian agents to try to obtain kompromat on your political opponent. It is wrong to encourage Russian intelligence agents to steal data from your political opponent.”
2. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Muellergate 2019. – unz.com/akarlin/muellergate-2019/#comments
3. Facebook: Fred Weir, comment on “Mueller report is just the start of a new Russia showdown”
4. The National Interest: Daniel McCarthy, Trump Wins Big with Mueller Report. Can there be a cover-up if there’s no crime to hide?
5. The New Yorker: Masha Gessen, After the Mueller Report, the Dream of a Sudden, Magic Resolution to the Trump Tragedy Is Dead.
6. The Blog Mire: Rob Slane, Mueller Finally Gives up His Two Year Search For a Non-Existent Needle – But the Hunt Continues. – theblogmire.com/mueller-finally-gives-up-his-two-year-search-for-a-non-existent-needle-but-the-hunt-continues/
7. National Review: Andrew McCarthy, After Mueller’s Exoneration of Trump, Full Disclosure. The FISA applications, the testimony in secret hearings, the scope memorandum – all of it. – nationalreview.com/2019/03/trump-russia-investigation-mueller-report-full-disclosure-documents-testimony/
8. https://taibbi.substack.com; Matt Taibbi, It’s official: Russiagate is this generation’s WMD. The Iraq war faceplant damaged the reputation of the press. Russiagate just destroyed it. (excerpt) – taibbi.substack.com/p/russiagate-is-wmd-times-a-million
9. The Epoch Times: Jeff Carlson, Spygate: The True Story of Collusion. How America’s most powerful agencies were weaponized against President Donald Trump. (excerpt) – theepochtimes.com/spygate-the-true-story-of-collusion_2684629.html
10. New York Times: Russians Hope Mueller Report Opens Door to Improved U.S. Ties.
11. Washington Post: Margaret Sullivan, Serious journalists should be proud of – not bullied over – their Russia reporting.
12. Washington Post editorial: Trump did not collude with Russia. But he’s wrong to say Mueller exonerated him.
13. Politico.com: Blake Hounshell, Trump Didn’t Collude With Russia. So Why Does He Love Putin So Much?
14. Moscow Times: ‘An Inescapable Phase of Life’: Fighting Loneliness Among Russia’s Elderly. Already saddled with meager pensions, Russia’s elderly also face another hardship: solitude.
15. New York Times: Andrew Higgins, How Powerful Is Vladimir Putin Really? Russia today doesn’t seem like “a properly run dictatorship.”
16. Vedomosti: Business paper says Kremlin ‘unsure’ over post-Putin transition.
17. Paul Goble: Protesters in Russia Today Younger, Poorer and Further Left than a Decade Ago, Sociologists Say.
18. TASS: Western sanctions boost Russia’s economy – security chief.
19. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, THE CALVEY CLAQUE – HOW $329 MILLION IN HIS BANK LOSSES TURNED INTO PROCLAMATIONS OF HIS COMMERCIAL GENIUS AND INNOCENCE OF FRAUD. – johnhelmer.net/the-calvey-claque-how-329-million-in-his-bank-losses-turned-into-proclamations-of-his-commercial-genius-and-innocence-of-fraud/#more-20578
20. TASS: West failed to learn lessons of Yugoslavia tragedy, Russia’s NATO mission says.
21. Valdai Discussion Club: Timofei Bordachev, The Golden Hammer: What’s Wrong with NATO? – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/the-golden-hammer-what-s-wrong-with-nato/
22. Valdai Discussion Club: Ivan Safranchuk “Operation Successor”: Why Did Nazarbayev Follow Deng Xiaoping’s Option? – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/operation-successor-why-did-nazarbayev-follow-deng/
23. Asia Times: Nargis Kassenova, What’s next for Kazakhstan?
24. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Fear and mistrust on the Ukrainian campaign trail.
25. TASS: Kommersant: Moscow gets entangled in Ukraine’s presidential race.
26. AP: Ukrainian Workers, Seeing Little Hope at Home, Head Abroad.
27. TASS: CIA, MI6 help Ukraine’s SBU spy agency in plotting covert operations, says ex-officer.