RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#39 :: Monday, 11 March 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#39 :: Monday, 11 March 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. New York Times: Turgenev Dissed Russia but Is Still Lionized as Literary Star by Touchy Kremlin.
2. Paul Goble: Public Squabbling by Members of Russian Elites Ushering in New Kind of Politics, Davydov Says.
3. Moscow Times: ‘Point of No Return’: Russia’s Libertarians Lead Protest Against ‘Sovereign Internet.’ A draft law aimed at creating an internet that can be cut off from the rest of the world’s has raised fears that Russia could turn into the next North Korea.
4. www.rt.com: Russia preparing to be cut off from Internet, but doesn’t want to disconnect – Kremlin.
5. TASS: Kremlin: Russian authorities not blocking Runet, but protecting it from shutdown.
6. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, HYBRID CONFUSION.
7. TASS: Kommersant: Foreign investors see storm clouds over Russia’s economy.
8. Bloomberg: Top Returns Don’t Make Russia’s Bonds Any Less ‘Unanalyzable’
9. www.rt.com: Microsoft survey shows Russian companies the most active in adopting AI.
10. The Maritime Executive: Russia Tightens Control Over Northern Sea Route.
11. Interfax: Russia not planning to increase its military personnel, get involved in arms race – Shamanov.
12. Wall Street Journal: How a Russian Gas Pipeline Is Driving a Wedge Between the U.S. and Its Allies. The Nord Stream 2 gas-transport project is a bone of contention with Washington, which fears it will make Germany too reliant on Moscow.
13. TASS: Russia-EU trade turnover up 20% in 2018.
14. The National Interest: Lyle Goldstein, Does Russia See a War Threat in Warsaw? The United States need not further inflame the new cold war with unnecessary and provocative basing arrangements in Eastern Europe.
15. TASS: Izvestia: US hackers plunge Venezuela into nationwide blackout.
16. www.rt.com: Venezuela aid truck torched by protesters, MSM finally admit…but of course Maduro’s still to blame. [rt.com/news/453485-venezuela-aid-truck-fire-lie/]
17. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, From ‘Not Us’ to ‘Why Hide It’: How Maidan Denied Its Involvement in the 20 February 2014 Snipers Massacre and Then Admitted It?
18. The National Interest: Nikolas Gvosdev, The Contenders for the Ukrainian Presidency. There are forty candidates, and a comedian is leading in the polls.
19. Kyiv Post: New poll: Zelenskiy in lead, Tymoshenko overtakes Poroshenko, Grytsenko rises.
20. Interfax: LPR urges direct dialogue with Kyiv for Donbas settlement.
21. Bloomberg: Pence Asked Merkel to Provoke Russia by Sending Warships to Crimea.
22. Wall Street Journal: U.S. Bulks Up Ukraine’s Navy to Thwart Russia. Fresh military focus reflects concern over Moscow’s new efforts to choke Kiev’s economy by blocking access to the country’s ports.
23. Sputnik: Integrity Initiative: The Sinister Chain of Events Leading Up to Salisbury. (excerpt)
24. Russia Matters: Why the ‘Reset’ Didn’t Last.
25. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, IMMACULATE DECEPTION – WILLIAM BURNS, HILLARY CLINTON’S SECRETARY OF STATE, SELLS AN ICON OF US INNOCENCE TOWARDS RUSSIA. [johnhelmer.net/immaculate-deception-william-burns-hillary-clintons-secretary-of-state-sells-an-icon-of-us-innocence-towards-russia/#more-20505]
26. Facebook: Vladimir Golstein, Comment re William Burn’s “How the U.S.-Russian Relationship Went Bad. An American diplomat tells the inside story of Yeltsin, Putin, and opportunities lost” in The Atlantic (JRL#38)
27. National Review: Andrew McCarthy, Paul Manafort Was an Agent of Ukraine, Not Russia. He is a scoundrel, but he was never a Kremlin operative.
28. Salon.com: LUCIAN K. TRUSCOTT IV, Donald Trump admired the Russian badass’s macho posturing, Putin was happy to have the attention. Russia Scandal Part 2: Trump didn’t know much more about Putin than what’s on cable news, but he liked what he saw [salon.com/2019/03/09/donald-trump-admired-the-russian-badasss-macho-posturing-putin-was-happy-to-have-the-attention/]
29. www.rt.com: Top Russian MP compares Trump to Hitler, warns of new war.
30. Truthdig.com: Liberals Are Digging Their Own Grave With Russiagate. Robert Scheer with guests Stephen Cohen and Katrina vandal Heuvel. [truthdig.com/articles/liberals-are-digging-their-own-grave-with-russiagate/]