RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#191 :: Friday, 22 November 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#191 :: Friday, 22 November 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Twitter: Artyom Lukin and Bryan MacDonald, Student fears.
2. Russia Beyond: Oleg Yegorov, OPINION: Russians are massive freeloaders. But that’s OK. – rbth.com/lifestyle/331315-russians-khalyava
3. Moscow Times: Be Kinder, Think Tank Tells Pro-Putin Leaders Ahead of Vote.
4. TASS: Izvestia: Three recipes for boosting Russia’s economy.
5. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Build build build: Russia’s national projects get underway.
6. Vesti.ru: Putin’s Plan is Working. Unemployment Hits Record Low With Inflation Curbed DESPITE Sanctions – vesti.ru/doc.html?id=3212738&cid=4441
7. Intellinews.com: Putin says humanity will end up in caves if it abandons hydrocarbons.
8. Kremlin.ru: Russia Calling! Investment Forum. (transcript concluded) – en.kremlin.ru/events/president/transcripts/62073
9. Meduza: The Duma’s vice speaker compared Russia’s new foreign agent law to the law that supported Maria Butina’s conviction in the U.S. He was wrong.
10. Moscow Times: Russian Bank Execs Vow to Fight ‘Lord Dollar-de-Mort’ in Harry Potter Cosplay.
11. www.rt.com: US ‘shot itself in the foot’ by sanctioning us, Putin says amid reports that Russia has become ‘bulletproof’ for investors – rt.com/business/473931-putin-russia-us-sanctions-forbes/
12. RIA Novosti: Over half of cyber-attacks on Russia come from US, deputy says.
13. Interfax: Russia should continue strengthening, developing its political potential in coming 10 years – Putin.
14. TASS: It is important for Russia to forecast changes after INF Treaty’s collapse – Putin.
15. Russia Observer: Patrick Armstrong, RUSSIAN FEDERATION SITREP 21 NOVEMBER 2019 – patrickarmstrong.ca/2019/11/21/russian-federation-sitrep-21-november-2019/
16. Wall Street Journal: ‘Citizen K’ Review: From Oligarch to Activist. Alex Gibney’s documentary tells the story of Mikhail Khodorkovsky alongside that of another Russian much more familiar to American audiences: Vladimir Putin.
17. Russian International Affairs Council: Andrey Kortunov, Every Generation Has its Own Wall – russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/every-generation-has-its-own-wall/
18. Daily Beast: Fiona Hill’s Book Lands in Amazon Top 100 After Impeachment Inquiry Hearing.
19. Brookings Institution: Fiona Hill’s writings.
20. New York Times (February 4 2013): Fiona Hill and Clifford Gaddy, [From 2013:] Dealing With the Real Putin.
21. Washington Post (February 5, 2015): Fiona Hill and Clifford Gaddy, [From 2015:] How aiding the Ukrainian military could push Putin into a regional war.
22. The New Yorker: John Cassidy, The Extraordinary Impeachment Testimony of Fiona Hill.
23. Washington Post editorial: Fiona Hill shreds the Republicans’ false narrative about Ukraine.
24. Politico.com (January 11, 2017): Kenneth Vogel and David Stern, [From 2017:] Ukrainian efforts to sabotage Trump backfire. Kiev officials are scrambling to make amends with the president-elect after quietly working to boost Clinton.
25. The Epoch Times: Witnesses Confirm Reports by Journalist Frequently Cited in Impeachment Probe – theepochtimes.com/witnesses-confirm-reports-by-journalist-frequently-cited-in-impeachment-probe_3152338.htm
26. https://johnsolomonreports.com: John Solomon, Responding to Lt. Col. Vindman about my Ukraine columns…with the facts.
27. Twitter: Michael McFaul, Impeachment hearings summary.
28. Washington Post: Henry Olsen, Impeachment witnesses keep leaning hard on Ukraine policy. That’s wrong.
29. Christian Science Monitor: Fred Weir, Ukraine in play: How Chinese investments change the game. Ukraine has been held up in impeachment hearings as a critical U.S. ally. But its industry is ailing. And with the West showing little interest in helping, China has stepped in – and could reshape Ukraine’s allegiances.
30. AFP: Ukraine protesters demand no ‘capitulation’ to Russia.
31. Foreign Affairs: Steven Pifer, How to End the War in Ukraine. What an American-Led Peace Plan Should Look Like.
32. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, Fables of Ignatius. (re Ukraine)
33. The Unz Review: The Saker, Can Russia (Or Iran) Survive Without China? – unz.com/tsaker/can-russia-or-iran-survive-without-china/