RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#187 :: Monday, 18 November 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#187 :: Monday, 18 November 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Sputnik: Chinese Media Names Russia’s “Weak Spots” – sputniknews.com/russia/201911181077335268-russia-weak-points-china-media-outlet/
2. TASS: Most Russians remain downbeat on ties with America, poll suggests.
3. Moscow Times: Russians’ Apathy Toward Trump Hits Record High – Poll.
4. Meduza: Russian lawmakers add amendment on ‘harassment’ to draft legislation against domestic violence.
5. RFE/RL: Books And Belfries: Volunteers Prop Up Russia’s Decaying Churches, Dying Villages.
6. Paul Goble: New Moscow-St. Petersburg Highway Emblematic of Russia’s Road Problems and Much Else.
7. Moscow Times: Side By Side LGBT Film Festival Goes On Despite Threats. Bomb threats each day threw off the schedule but not the audience.
8. Intellinews.com: Gazprom extends its lead in the King of the castle race.
9. Forbes: Kenneth Rapoza, For Wall Street, Russia Has Become ‘Bullet Proof’
10. Valdai Discussion Club: Pascal Boniface, ‘Allied but Not Aligned’: Will Macron Redefine the Role of Europe in NATO? – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/allied-but-not-aligned/
11. Interfax: New Moldovan PM says important to restore, improve partnership with Russia.
12. Financial Times: Belarus opposition parties left in the cold after election. Parliament will consist wholly of politicians loyal to President Alexander Lukashenko.
13. Bear Market Brief: Russia-Belarus.
14. Interfax: Normandy-format summit due to be held in Paris on Dec 9 – Peskov.
15. TASS: Izvestia: Moscow calls for giving substance to Normandy Four summit.
16. www.rt.com: Moscow releases Ukrainian Navy boats seized during ‘violation’ of Russian territorial waters near Crimea in 2018 – rt.com/news/473651-russia-releases-ukrainian-boats/
17. www.rt.com: Russia offers Ukraine deal to extend gas transit contract for 1 year.
18. TASS: Ukraine’s Bureau of Investigation confirms request for stripping Poroshenko of immunity.
19. www.stalkerzone.org: Oleg Adolfovich, Ukraine: Presentiment of Civil War. [Text with photos – stalkerzone.org/ukraine-presentiment-of-civil-war/
20. Washington Post: Jessica Pisano, Trump says he was looking for corruption in Ukraine – where President Zelensky was known for mocking corruption in Ukraine. Like Trump, Zelensky was a showman before he entered politics. So what does he stand for?
21. Indian Punchline: M.K. Bhadrakumar, Russia-Ukraine relations take leap of faith – indianpunchline.com/russia-ukraine-relations-take-leap-of-faith/
22. Counterpunch: Melvin Goodman, Meet Ukraine: America’s Newest “Strategic Ally” – counterpunch.org/2019/11/15/meet-ukraine-americas-newest-strategic-ally/
23. www.realclearpolitics.com: Michael Tracey, George Kent’s Myth of Ukraine’s Modern-Day ‘Minutemen’
24. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, TALKING TRUTH TO POWER – HOW AN AGING FRENCH NARCISSIST SHORT OF CASH AND A NERVOUS RULER OF RUSSIA IN NEED OF PR MAKE A LESSON FOR TODAY.
25. Spectator USA: Freddy Gray, The devastating impact of Russia Derangement Syndrome. The more curious aspect of Russia paranoia is that it ends up achieving precisely what Putin wants.
26. Sunday Times (UK): Revealed: the Russia report.
27. Twitter: Mark Galeotti, Re. “Revealed: the Russia Report”
28. Washington Post: Meg Kelly and Elyse Samuels, How Russia weaponized social media, got caught and escaped consequences. (excerpt)