RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#182 :: Monday, 11 November 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#182 :: Monday, 11 November 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Kyiv Post: Survey: Population of occupied Donbas believes Russia not involved in war.
2. TASS: Experts say baby boom vital to fight Russia’s demographic decline, not migrant influx – tass.com/society/1088025
3. Haaretz (Israel): Jonathan Jacobson, Climate Change Could Make Russia Great Again. A golden opportunity for Russia is buried under the ice caps, which are now melting.
4. www.rt.com: Rage against the (bureaucratic) machine: Putin says AI could ease Russia’s red tape woes – en.kremlin.ru/events/president/transcripts/62003
5. TASS: Putin urges for utmost freedom, best conditions for startups.
6. TASS: Media: Russia may designate bloggers as foreign agents.
7. TASS: RBC: Russians still clinging to cash.
8. TASS: Russian Economy Ministry to present privatization plan to government shortly.
9. Interfax: Putin urges Interior Ministry employees to thwart toughly any attempts to split Russian society.
10. Deutsche Welle: Drug addiction in Russia: Draconian laws instead of help. Millions of people in Russian suffer from drug addictions, but the authorities prefer to arrest them rather than support awareness-raising programs. One NGO is trying to help.
11. Financial Times: US and EU sanctions take toll on Russian oil and gas exploration. Need for western technology hits ambitious projects in Arctic and Siberia.
12. Financial Times: Russia makes its oil reserves work harder as output declines. Technology slows decline in fields such as Samotlor as industry calls for tax breaks.
13. TASS: Izvestia: Potential US exit from Open Skies won’t cloud Russia’s stance to stay on.
14. Wall Street Journal: Russia Blames U.S. for Not Doing Enough on Nuclear Arms Treaty. Efforts to renew the New START treaty signed by President Obama in 2010 have stalled.
15. Vesti.ru: Lavrov Exclusive: US Behaving Like a Rogue State, Violating Every Known International Law – vesti.ru/doc.html?id=3208514&cid=4441
16. Vesti.ru: Shakhnazarov: US Has Always Considered Russia Enemy #1 – Trump the Best of All Evils – vesti.ru/doc.html?id=3208517&cid=4441
17. Sputnik: Putin Explains Why Russia Can Afford to Spend Less on Defence – sputniknews.com/military/201911111077281330-putin-explains-why-russia-can-afford-to-spend-less-on-defence/
18. In Moscow’s Shadows: Mark Galeotti, ‘Security Insights’ on Russia.
19. Truthdig.com: Juan Cole, No, Russia Isn’t Taking Over the Middle East – truthdig.com/articles/no-russia-isnt-taking-over-the-middle-east/
20. The American Conservative: Daniel Larison, Post-Cold War Triumphalism And Kennan’s Warning.
21. Sputnik: Former Soviet Leader Mikhail Gorbachev Reveals Who Was Responsible for Country’s Collapse – sputniknews.com/russia/201911101077273657-former-soviet-leader-mikhail-gorbachev-reveals-who-was-responsible-for-countrys-collapse/
22. Der Spiegel: ‘It Was Impossible To Go On Living Like Before.’ In a DER SPIEGEL interview, former Soviet Union President Mikhail Gorbachev speaks about the fall of the Berlin Wall, why perestroika was unavoidable and the present-day.
23. Russia Beyond: How did the Soviets react to the fall of the Berlin Wall? – rbth.com/history/331253-berlin-wall-fall-gorbachev-ussr
24. The Nation: Lev Golinkin, 30 Years Ago Eastern Europeans Tore Down Walls. Now They Write Pop Songs to Putin. How crony capitalism and crippling austerity turned democracy into a dirty word.
25. Los Angeles Times: Andrew Bocevich, The Berlin Wall fell and the U.S. learned the wrong lessons. It got us Donald Trump.
26. Valdai Discussion Club [October 10, 2016): Oleg Baravanov, What If the USSR Hadn’t Collapsed…If we put aside the Soviet values that are still impacting ideological policy in Russia and ask, “What if the USSR hadn’t collapsed?” we will have to come up with certain historical reconstructions and consider them from the point of view of current policies – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/what-if-the-ussr-hadn-t-collapsed/
27. The Unz Review: Egor Kholmogorov: Russia and the Great War. Victory a Hundred Years Past. (excerpt) – unz.com/akarlin/russia-and-great-war/
28. Interfax: Foreigners to be granted right to buy land in Ukraine only if permitted via nationwide referendum – Zelensky.
29. Reuters: Kremlin Eyes Four-Way Ukraine Summit This Year.
30. Interfax: Poroshenko’s associate demands Zelensky clarify whom he blames for war in Donbas.
31. Reuters: Ukraine Expects U.S. Military Aid to Keep Flowing Despite Trump Impeachment Battle.
32. Awful Avalanche: In State of Shock, Zelensky Blurts Out State Secret – Part I – awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2019/11/09/in-state-of-shock-zelensky-blurts-out-state-secret-part-i/
32. Awful Avalanche: In State of Shock, Zelensky Blurts Out State Secret – Part II – awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2019/11/10/in-state-of-shock-zelensky-blurts-out-state-secret-part-ii/
34. www.strategic-culture.org: Tim Kirby, Trump Declared Anti-Ukrainian Racist by Clownish Mainstream Media – strategic-culture.org/news/2019/11/09/trump-declared-anti-ukrainian-racist-by-clownish-mainstream-media/
35. Time.com: Peter Pomreantsev, We Need to Stop Thinking of Conflict With Russia as an ‘Information War’
36. Rolling Stone” Matt Taibbi, Why Is Christopher Steele Still a Thing? The ex-spy and infamous “dossier” author posits yet another elaborate theory of foreign infiltration.
37. National Review: Fiona Hill Details Relationship with Christopher Steele, Disparages Steele Dossier.
38. Inquisitr: Vladimir Putin Began ‘Targeting’ Donald Trump When He Was A Businessman, Russia Expert Fiona Hill Testifies. A full transcript of former National Security Council staffer Fiona Hill’s testimony to the House impeachment inquiry was released on Friday, containing some startling revelations.
39. The Guardian: Impeachment inquiry: Fiona Hill tells lawmakers she’s received death threats.