RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#176 :: Thursday, 31 October 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#176 :: Thursday, 31 October 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Consortiumnews.com: Lucy Komisar, London Times Runs Fake Browder Opinion Piece. The writers of this op ed managed to put eight lies into just five opening lines. – consortiumnews.com/2019/10/29/london-times-runs-fake-browder-opinion-piece/
2. AP: Berlin Wall’s Fall Stokes Memories of Lost Hopes in Russia.
3. TASS: Only one-third of Russians feel people’s unity, poll says.
4. TASS: Russia’s happiest people employed in medicine, civil service – survey.
5. Moscow Times: ‘Prompt, Disciplined, Meticulous’: Putin’s KGB Profile Declassified.
6. Moscow Times: Russian Kids Are Patriotic, Apolitical and Tolerant of LGBT People – Study.
7. Kennan Institute: Irina Meyer-Olimpiev, Russia’s Young Civic Activism: Lessons from the Moscow Protests.
8. Meduza: Rogov: It’s social media, stupid.
9. Paul Goble: Russian Realities Again Eclipsing Russian Art, Yerofeyev Says.
10. Wall Street Journal: Congressional Moves Against Russia’s Pipeline to Europe Are Running Aground. Moscow’s natural-gas tube clears hurdles as U.S. opposition trips; lobbying ramps up; fears over implications for Ukraine.
11. www.rt.com: Russia orders extra Soyuz manned spacecraft as NASA replacements wallow in uncertainty.
12. TASS: Facebook purge under fire: Russian senator blasts tech titan’s war on free speech.
13. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Trump’s pick for envoy to Russia seen as honest and straightforward.
14. Statement of John J. Sullivan. Nominee to be U.S. Ambassador to the Russian Federation. Senate Committee on Foreign Relations.
15. Financial Times: US diplomat says ‘open skies’ treaty with Russia is intact. Nominee as Moscow envoy disputes claims that Trump is ready to withdraw from pact.
16. The National Interest: Hunter DeRensis, The Foreign Polic y Blob Versus Trump. Are the attacks on Trump’s Ukraine conduct causing real damage?
17. Sic Semper Tyrannis: Larry Johnson, The Failed FBI Plot to Paint Trump Doing Deals with Putin – turcopolier.typepad.com/sic_semper_tyrannis/2019/10/the-failed-fbi-plot-to-paint-trump-doing-deals-with-putin-by-larry-c-johnson.html#more
18. The Federalist: Anti-Trump ‘Whistleblower’ Worked With DNC Operative Who Sought Dirt On Trump From Ukrainian Officials.
19. Reuters: Former CIA Director Brennan: Votes Were Swayed by Russian Influence Operation.
20. Intellinews.com: Warm relations between Budapest and Moscow confirmed at Putin’s latest Hungary visit.
21. www.strategic-culture.org: Finian Cunningham, Armenia in Crosshairs of Washington’s Tyranny – strategic-culture.org/news/2019/10/30/armenia-in-crosshairs-of-washingtons-tyranny/
22. Foreign Affairs: Eugene Rumer, Russia, the Indispensable Nation in the Middle East. Moscow Has Been Here Before. This Time, Washington Is Out.
23. RAND: Samuel Charap, Elina Treyger, Edward Geist, Understanding Russia’s Intervention in Syria – rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR3180.html
24. Carnegie Moscow Center: Andrey Maslov, No Sentiment, All Pragmatism as Russia Unveils New Approach to Africa. The political framework for cooperation was agreed at the Russia-Africa summit, and with heads of state in attendance and a declaration signed, it was undoubtedly a success for Russia’s Foreign Ministry. As for an institutional economic framework for what is being billed as “Russia’s return to Africa,” it’s still early days.
25. New Cold War: Dmitriy Kovalevich, October update: Ukraine continues former policy while split looms in new government – newcoldwar.org/october-update-ukraine-continues-former-policy-while-split-looms-in-new-government/
26. AP: Ukraine’s Plan to Sell Farmland Raises Fears of Foreigners.
27. https://thesaker.is: George Eliason, The Terrorists Among US11 Azov Battalion and American Congressional Support – thesaker.is/the-terrorists-among-us11-azov-battalion-and-american-congressional-support/
28. Russia Matters: Report: War in Ukraine Now Offers Small Window of Opportunity for Solutions. (Robert Hamilton)
29. Kennan Institute: The Wilson Center Mourns the Loss of Murray Feshbach.