RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#175 :: Wednesday, 30 October 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#175 :: Wednesday, 30 October 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. TASS: Only 3% of Russians plan to celebrate Halloween – survey.
2. Kremlin.ru: Monument to Yevgeny Primakov unveiled in Moscow.
4. Forbes.com: James Rodgers, Putin And The Military: Russia’s Question Of Trust.
5. Moscow Times: Ilya Klishin, How Putin Is Bankrupting the Russian Opposition.
6. Intellinews.com: Russian consumers pay an extra $7bn a year due to sanctions on EU food imports.
7. TASS: Increase in agriculture export may lead to food shortages in Russia, say experts.
8. NYU Jordan Center: Kvas Patriotism in Russia: Cultural Problems, Cultural Myths. (Angela Brintlinger)
9. Meduza: From the Gulag to Brexit The life and death of Vladimir Bukovsky, the fiery dissident who shed light on Soviet punitive psychiatry.
10. AP: Denmark Allows Russia-Germany Gas Pipeline.
11. Russia Beyond: 5 best Russian movies of 2019 you just have to watch – rbth.com/arts/331207-5-best-russian-movies-of-the-year
12. Meduza: Morozov: The world can’t wait for another Reagan.
13. TASS: Never again: Political repressions must not recur, says lower house speaker.
14. Moscow Times: On This Day Victims of Political Repressions Are Honored.
15. Russia Beyond: 8 of the most EVIL Gulag camps of the USSR – rbth.com/history/331201-ussr-gulag-camps
16. TASS: Russia worried over US’ developing cruise missile program – senior diplomat.
17. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, U.S. and Russia Should Keep the Skies Open. The Trump administration is threatening to back out of an arms-control agreement that’s based on the excellent principle of “show me yours and I’ll show you mine.”
18. Reuters: Russia’s Putin, Hungary’s Orban to Discuss TurkStream Pipeline, Nuclear Energy.
19. www.rt.com: Turkey and Russia to start patrolling Kurdish areas in northern Syria together on Friday – Erdogan.
20. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Yevgeny Shestakov, Diplomacy and policing: Sochi agreement not end of Syrian campaign, but very important step forward.
21. The National Interest: Colin P. Clarke and William Courtney, Russia’s Risky Game Plan for Syria. Moscow had hoped to be rewarded with the opportunity to base additional military equipment inside Syria in exchange for standing by Bashar al-Assad.
22. Foreign Policy: Reese Erlich, Russia Is the Only Winner in Syria. With Washington’s policy in chaos and Erdogan moving into Putin’s orbit, Moscow has come out on top.
23. Valdai Discussion Club: Andrey Kazantsev, How Soon Will US Troops Withdraw From Afghanistan? – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/how-soon-will-us-troops-withdraw-from-afghanistan/
24. Washington Post: Read the document: Opening Statement of Lieutenant Colonel Alexander S. Vindman. (excerpt)
25. TASS: Kommersant: Kiev begins troop withdrawal from Donbass.
26. Vesti.ru: White Flares Flash Over Donbass! Withdrawal of Armed Forces Begins From Kiev’s Side! – vesti.ru/doc.html?id=3205010&cid=4441
27. TASS: LPR says Ukraine changed its tone at Minsk talks on Donbass.
28. Intellinews.com: Ukraine’s investment summit on the front line of a war.
29. Vesti.ru: Vesti Exclusive! First Full Interview With Maria Butina After Release From Horrific American Gulag! – vesti.ru/doc.html?id=3204697&cid=4441