RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#165 :: Thursday, 10 October 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#165 :: Thursday, 10 October 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Russia in Global Affairs: Fyodor Lukyanov, Everything on Display.
2. Meduza: Mironova: Hey, liberals, it’s the economy, stupid.
3. RFE/RL: Russia Used $50 U.S.-Based Donation To Help Brand Navalny Foundation ‘Foreign Agent’
4. Valdai Discussion Club: Timofei Bordachev, Europe and Berlin-Brandenburg Syndrome.
5. Moon of Alabama: “Top Secret” Russian Unit That “Destabilizes Europe” Is A Well Known Small Arms Training Base.
6. Russian International Affairs Council: Russian-Chinese Dialogue: The 2019 Model.
7. Intellinews.com: Russia to ride to Cuba’s fuel shortages rescue.
8. TASS: Zelensky vows his mission as president is to stop war in Donbass.
9. AP: Ukraine Leader: Predecessor Trying to Derail Peace Process.
10. TASS: Kommersant: Failure to disengage forces in Donbass puts Normandy Four summit in jeopardy.
11. NPR: Ukrainians Are More Concerned With Russia Peace Talks Than Trump Call.
12. www.nbcnews.com: Willis Krumholz, The impeachment inquiry highlights Trump’s ill-advised move to give Ukraine aid and weapons. Arming Ukraine will almost always result in a stronger Russian response. Rather than end the conflict, military assistance risks prolonging it.
13. Kennan Institute: Vitaliy Sizov, Zelenskyy’s High-Stakes Russia Game.
14. Atlantic Council: Steven Pifer, Did Zelenskyy give in to Moscow? We don’t know yet.
15. Komsomolskaya Pravda: Pundit says Russia to step up cooperation with eastern Ukraine.
16. TASS: Kommersant: Russian legislators freeze trips to US following FBI harassment of MP.
17. Interfax: Volodin calls on Pelosi to check U.S. secret services’ actions in regard to Deputy Yumasheva.
18. The Unz Review: The Saker, Russia’s Kidnapping Problem. (excerpt)
19. Moscow Times: Vadily Gatov, To Deal With Putin, the West Needs ‘Rollercoaster Diplomacy’. The Russian leadership is defenseless against fast and radical shifts in policy from abroad.
20. TASS: Russia may give asymmetrical response to US withdrawal from Treaty on Open Skies – senator.
21. Wired: Trump Takes Aim at a Critical Cold War Treaty With Russia. The Open Skies treaty has provided invaluable intelligence for its 34 signatory countries. Now Donald Trump reportedly wants out.
22. Moscow Times: What Does Turkey’s Syria Offensive Mean For Russia?
23. Voice of America: Analysts: Russia Goes Along with Turkey, But Has Red Lines.
24. The National Interest: Will the Syrian Kurds Ally With Iran and Russia Against Turkey? Trump’s surprise decision has thrown all three powers into disarray.
25. Axios: Scoop: House Democrats want testimony from Trump’s former Russia advisor. (Fiona Hill)
26. Russia Beyond: The BEST Russian TV shows & movies on Amazon Prime right now.