RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#145 :: Monday, 9 September 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#145 :: Monday, 9 September 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. www.rt.com: Opposition parties score big wins in closely-watched Moscow elections – rt.com/russia/468406-moscow-elections-results-opposition/
2. Meduza: Moscow’s election results The opposition wins nearly half the City Duma seats, and United Russia’s local leader loses his seat.
3. Wall Street Journal: Russian Opposition Puts Putin Under Pressure in Moscow Election. The opposition alliance didn’t fare well elsewhere in Russia, but its leaders hail Moscow showing as a success.
4. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, The Kremlin Won – and Proved It Can’t Win Fair. In local elections, frustrated Muscovites voted for Communists and oddballs to keep out pro-Putin candidate.
5. TASS: Results of election to Moscow’s legislature indicate lack of protest voting – Kremlin.
6. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, “Russian Nationalist” Navalny Endorses Commies Over Actual Nationalists in Moscow Elections – unz.com/akarlin/russian-nationalist-navalny-endorses-commies-over-actual-nationalists-in-moscow-elections/
7. Interfax: Liberal-Democrats to hold 34 of 35 seats in Khabarovsk City Duma – election results.
8. Moscow-on-Thames: Sam Greene, United Liberal Democratic Russia?
9. Bear Market Brief: Pension Reform.
10. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Where is Russia’s stock market headed this year?
11. www.rt.com: Russia boosts gas supplies to Europe while transit deal with Ukraine in limbo.
12. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, MARK GALEOTTI IS A FACT FAKER – HIS BOOK ON RUSSIAN CRIME IS A HATE CRIME, A WAR CRIME. (excerpt) – johnhelmer.net/mark-galeotti-is-a-fact-faker-his-book-on-russian-crime-is-a-hate-crime-a-war-crime/
13. TASS: Izvestia: Eastern Economic Forum strengthens ties between Russia and Asia.
14. Valdai Discussion Club: Thomas Graham, The Challenges of Russia’s Turn to the East.
15. Izvestia: Daily views Russia’s missile options after US INF withdrawal.
16. Global Research: Andrew Korybko, Belarus Is Between a Rock and a Hard Place. “Balance” its Relations between Russia and the US. – globalresearch.ca/belarus-between-rock-hard-place/5688140
17. Awful Avalanche: Groundhog Day: It’s 1939 All Over Again – Part III – awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2019/09/07/groundhog-day-its-1939-all-over-again-part-iii/
18. Awful Avalanche: Groundhog Day: It’s 1939 All Over Again – Part IV https://awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2019/09/07/groundhog-day-its-1939-all-over-again-part-iv/
19. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Ukraine and Russia swap 70 prisoners of war.
20. Moon of Alabama: Media Make False “Russian Prisoners” Claims To Blame Russia, Hide Ukraine’s Civil War – moonofalabama.org/2019/09/ukraine-reuters-cnn-and-hrw-make-false-russian-prisoners-claims.html
22. RFE/RL: After Ukraine-Russia Prisoner Swap, Can Zelenskiy Capitalize On Momentum?
23. Facebook: Fred Weir, “The unraveling of Vladimir Putin”
24. The Hill: Joseph Dresen, The unraveling of Vladimir Putin
25. New York Times: Bret Stephens, How Vladimir Putin Falls. A dictator meets an opponent he can’t co-opt, corrupt, calumniate, cow or coerce.
26. New York Times: In St. Petersburg Election, Russia’s Political Rot Is on Full Display.
27. Washington Post editorial: A Russian passport. A Russian murder?