RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#140 :: Monday, 2 September 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#140 :: Monday, 2 September 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, The Kremlin, the Chaos Theory, and the Bread Crumb Theory.
2. Moscow Times: Mark Galeotti, Why I Talked to RT. The people we need to engage with are those who don’t agree with us, who don’t share our sense of the world.
3. Valdai Discussion Club: Timofei Bordachev, Russia’s Turn to the East and the New Geopolitical World. – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/turn-to-the-east-and-the-new-world-geopolitics/
4. Vesti.ru: Russia Celebrates Special Holiday! Millions of Children Heading Back to School September 1st! – vesti.ru/doc.html?id=3184853&cid=4441]https://www.vesti.ru/doc.html?id=3184853&cid=4441
5. www.rt.com: Russia’s Election Commission says AP misquoted its chief, distorted facts in Moscow election story – rt.com/russia/467762-ap-moscow-elections-commission-pamfilova/
6a. RFE/RL: Moscow Protest Couple Allowed To Keep Children.
7. Forbes.com: James Rodgers, Prospect Of Protest Means Russia’s Political Climate May Not Cool This Fall.
8. PONARS Eurasia: Andrei Shcherbak, When Conservatism and Nationalism Form the Spurs of Kremlin Ideology.
9. The Barents Observer (Norway): Governor of Murmansk to Putin: Our strategically important region deserves better. We have run-down healthcare, dramatic out-migration and unsatisfactory living conditions for our armed forces, says Andrey Chibis as he sits down with the President.
10. Financial Times: Russians sceptical of Putin’s grand projects as economy founders. Kremlin struggles to keep its promises on infrastructure spending.
11. TASS: Positive effects on Russia’s economic growth unlikely to happen overnight, says minister.
12. TASS: Even oil price of $40 per barrel unlikely to seriously affect Russian economy – minister.
13. RFE/RL: After The Orphanage: Russian NGO Provides Lifeline For Orphans Finding Their Way.
14. Russia Beyond: Beslan, the horrific small town tragedy that changed the lives of a whole nation. – rbth.com/society/2014/09/01/beslan_10_years_on_39439.html
15. Moscow Times: Tanya Lokshina, Remembering Beslan 15 Years Later. For the nightmare of Beslan never to be repeated, its lessons must be learned.
16. Sputnik: Pure Façade: How US Continues Buying ‘Made in Russia’ Goods Despite Sanctions – sputniknews.com/business/201908291076646070-pure-facade-how-us-continues-buying-made-in-russia-goods-despite-sanctions/
17. Awful Avalanche: Russians and Tatars: A Complicated History – Part I – awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2019/09/02/russians-and-tatars-a-complicated-history-part-i/
18. Moscow Times: Russia’s Mystery Nuclear Explosion Occurred During Missile Recovery at Sea – Reports.
19. TASS: Izvestia: Russia’s intel chief blasts US for deliberately destroying collective security system.
20. Xinhua (China): Tackling political challenges, Russia charts path of development – xinhuanet.com/english/2019-08/31/c_138354133.htm
21. www.rt.com: Bolton visits Ukraine, Belarus & Moldova, should Moscow be worried? – rt.com/news/467650-bolton-belarus-visit-moscow/
22. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Foreign investors’ interest in Ukraine is picking up.
23. New Cold War: Dmitriy Kovalevich, August update: same war against opposition media; ban on oldest Ukrainian unionist newspaper. (excerpt) – newcoldwar.org/august-update-same-war-against-opposition-media-ban-on-oldest-ukrainian-unionist-newspaper/
24. Postsocialism: Jeremy Morris, A Day of Knowledge – Topic-based teaching of Russian Current Affairs. (excerpt) – postsocialism.org/2019/09/01/a-day-of-knowledge-topic-based-teaching-of-russian-current-affairs/
25. National Review: Andrew McCarthy, Trump Was Always the Target of the Russia Investigation.
26. Reuters: Kremlin critic wants film to open West’s eyes about Putin’s Russia.