RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#138 :: Thursday, 29 August 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#138 :: Thursday, 29 August 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. TASS: Population in Russia to grow by 2 mln people by 2024, reports Economy Ministry.
2. Washington Post: Samuel A. Greene and Graeme B. Robertson, Putin’s power depends on his popularity. That makes him vulnerable. Public opinion plays a bigger role in Russian politics than most people think.
3. Vedomosti: Poll shows Russians uncertain about long-term future.
4. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, The trouble with investing into Russia.
5. Moscow Times: Tatyana Stanovaya, How the Russian State Is Losing Its Instruments of Governance. No one in the Kremlin is currently working on long-term political strategy.
6. AP: Russian Election Chief Defends Ban on Moscow Candidates.
7. Vedomosti: Pundit views role of security agencies over years of Putin’s rule. (Nikolai Petrov)
8. www.rt.com: Russian bakery fined over offensive ANTI-GAY signs, owner wanted to tell ‘sinners’ apart by LOOKS. – rt.com/russia/467494-russian-antigay-bakery-fined/
9. TASS: Russia may dive into recession in 2021 if external economic environment worsens – experts.
10. Vesti.ru: Putin Concerned About Economy! Believes US-China Trade War Might Affect Russia! – vesti.ru/doc.html?id=3182907&cid=4441
11. Awara: Jon Hellevig, AN AWARA ACCOUNTING ECONOMIC BRIEF: WITH GLOBAL RECESSION LOOMING, RUSSIA LOOKS STRONG. (excerpt) – awaragroup.com/blog/with-global-recession-looming-russia-looks-strong/
12. RFE/RL: Work Less, Play More: Is Russia Ready For A Four-Day Workweek?
13. Moscow Times: Russia’s ‘Shadow Economy’ Is Nearly 13% of GDP, Reports Say.
14. Facebook: Ajay Goyal, Moscow is now is absolutely the foodie capital of Europe.
15. Financial Times: Russians struggle under burden of soaring consumer loans. Bankruptcy rise follows boom in unsecured lending as average real incomes continue to stagnate.
16. TASS: Izvestia: Increasing coffee and chocolate sales indicate economic anxiety.
17. The Barents Observer (Norway): There is no ice left on Northern Sea Route. But the number of ships that set course for the Arctic route still remains low.
18. www.rt.com: ‘We’re going to work towards that end’: Pompeo on inviting Russia back into G7.
19. RIA Novosti: Pundit says return to G8 ‘disadvantageous’ to Moscow.
20. Awful Avalanche: Berlin Assassin, Could This Be the German Skripal Case? – Part I – awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2019/08/28/berlin-assassin-could-this-be-the-german-skripal-case-part-i/
21. Awful Avalanche: Berlin Assassin, Could This Be the German Skripal Case? – Part II – awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2019/08/28/berlin-assassin-could-this-be-the-german-skripal-case-part-ii/
22. The National Interest: J. Berkshire Miller and Benoit Hardy-Chartrand, Russia and China’s Strategic Marriage of Convenience. China and Russia share the same immediate strategic objective of weakening the United States’ presence and undermining its alliances in the region.
23. Moscow Times: Dmitriy Frolovskiy, Russia-Turkey Relations Face Pressure Over Syria, but Pattern Is Unlikely to Change. Stone-cold pragmatism will remain central in the relationship between the two countries.
24. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, FALSE EQUIVALENCIES. [re Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact]
25. Russia Beyond: 5 important Russian books about the Gulag and Stalin’s Great Terror – rbth.com/arts/330838-books-about-gulag
26. Reuters: Trump Adviser Says He’ll Warn Leader of Belarus About Russian Threat
28. TASS: South Ossetia views Georgia’s actions on border as direct threat.
29. Transitions Online: Abkhazian History in a Nutshell. Last weekend’s elections saw a familiar crew jostling for the top job in a territory which has thrown off most traces of Georgian control.
30. TASS: Media: Russian journalist’s release improves chances for swap deal between Moscow, Kiev.
31. www.rt.com: ‘I hope freedom of speech will be real value, not empty words’ – Vyshinsky after 1yr in Ukraine jail. – rt.com/news/467499-ukraine-vyshinsky-interview-release-jail/
32. TASS: Tourist flow from Ukraine to Crimea in 2019 may exceed 1.2 million people, authorities say.
33. UNIAN (Kyiv): Kolomoisky: Russia has lost the war. They can’t grab Ukraine.
34. Moscow Times/Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Eastern Ukraine Isn’t Really That Separatist. The way to resolve the conflict in eastern Ukraine is to arrange a credible people’s vote in the Donbass.
35. Politico.com: Trump slow-walks Ukraine military aid meant to contain Russia.
36. The Unz Review: The Saker Interviews Max Van der Werff About the MH-17 Conspiracy – unz.com/tsaker/the-saker-interviews-max-van-der-werff-about-the-mh-17-conspiracy/
37. The Unz Review; Max Parry, Hollywood Reboots Russophobia for the New Cold War – unz.com/article/hollywood-reboots-russophobia-for-the-new-cold-war/
38. Consortiumnews.com: John Kiriakou, In Search of a Russiagate Scalp: The Entrapment of Maria Butina. In need of a “collusion” connection, top FBI officials have now been shown to be behind the false portrayal of an unregistered agent as a spy. – consortiumnews.com/2019/08/28/john-kiriakou-in-search-of-a-russiagate-scalp-the-entrapment-of-maria-butina/
39. Sic Semper Tyrannis: Larry Johnson, Fabricating the Russian DNC Hack. (excerpt)
40. Washington Post: David Von Drehle, What does Trump see in Putin anyway?