RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#118 :: Friday, 26 July 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#118 :: Friday, 26 July 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. TASS: Police warn against calls to join illegal protests in Moscow on Saturday.
2. Interfax: Moscow City Election Commission officially denies registration to 5 candidates to Moscow City Duma.
3. Bear Market Blog: Russia After Putin
4. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, A TALE OF TWO MUSEUMS.
5. Moskovsky Komsomolets: Daily views ‘continuous’ drop in Russians’ incomes.
6. Moskovsky Komsomolets: Russian pundit suggests transition to ‘controlled market economy’. (Nikolay Mironov)
7. Center for Citizen Initiatives: Responses to “Poll Claiming 10% of Russians Have Been Tortured Doesn’t Pass the Smell Test”
8. Meduza: The evictors For the past five years, loan sharks have forced more than 500 Muscovites from their homes. Here’s how the industry works. (excerpt)
9. Wall Street Journal: Russia Cuts Interest Rate Again Amid Global Push for Looser Policy.
10. Paul Goble: Russia Becoming Part of Central Asia after Trying to Leave It Behind, Kuzmin Says.
11. Russia Observer: Patrick Armstrong, RUSSIAN FEDERATION SITREP 25 JULY 2019. – patrickarmstrong.ca/2019/07/25/russian-federation-sitrep-25-july-2019/
12. The Economist editorial: Russia and China. Partnership is much better for China than it is for Russia. Just how much better might not become clear for a few years yet.
13. The Economist: The junior partner. How Vladimir Putin’s embrace of China weakens Russia. He needs Xi Jinping more than Mr Xi needs him-and Central Asia is changing as a result.
15. Russia Matters: Russian Plane Draws Shots from South Korea in First Air Patrol with China: Belfer Experts Weigh In.
16. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Russia Trolls to Better Relations with Korea? – unz.com/akarlin/russia-trolls-to-better-relations-with-korea/
17. Forbes.com: James Rodgers, Russia Plans To Relax Visa Rules, But The U.S. Could Miss Out.
18. www.rt.com: Ofcom’s £200,000 fine against RT ‘inappropriate and disproportionate’
19. RFE/RL: Russia Labels Atlantic Council Think Tank In Washington ‘Undesirable’
20. www.rt.com: Russia declares Atlantic Council think tank an ‘undesirable’ organization – what exactly is it? – rt.com/russia/465086-atlantic-council-russia-undesirable/
21. TASS: All ballots counted, Zelensky’s Servant of People party wins with 43.16% of votes.
22. TASS: Kiev court rules to open criminal case over possible power seizure by Poroshenko.
23. Interfax: Zelensky, U.S. reps hope Donbas truce enacted on July 21 to be comprehensive, permanent.
24. Kyiv Post: Bermet Talant, After winning parliament, what’s next for Zelensky?
25. https://theduran.com: Ted Luongo, Time Runs Out on Operation Ukraine. Europe has made it clear it is no longer interested in paying for its failed Ukrainian project. – theduran.com/time-runs-out-on-operation-ukraine/
26. TASS: Russian senate working on measures to resist Western information warfare.
27. Washington Post: Russians probably targeted election systems in all 50 states, Senate panel’s report says.
28. Inquisitr: Stunning New Senate Report Warns If Donald Trump Loses In 2020, Russians Will Try To ‘Delegitimize’ Election.
29. Mashable.com: Exasperated officials use pineapple pizza to explain Russian election interference.
30. The New Yorker: Andy Borowitz, [SATIRE:] Republicans Defend Trump’s Decision to Give Putin Office Space at White House.
31. The American Interest: M. Steven Fish, Trump, Russia, and the Democrats’ Golden Opportunity. (excerpt) – the-american-interest.com/2019/07/24/trump-russia-and-the-democrats-golden-opportunity/
32. https://thatswhatshehad.com: Yulia Dyukova, Enough with the Evil Russians! (Stranger Things Made Me Write This). (excerpt) – thatswhatshehad.com/russian-villains-stranger-things/
33. Studybreaks: Caleb Dukes, Why Russians Should Not Have Been The Villain In ‘Stranger Things 3’. We’ve reached the death of the show’s subtle Cold War commentary.
34. Wall Street Journal: Kimberley Strassel, What Mueller Was Trying to Hide. His investigation was about protecting the actual miscreants in the collusion hoax.