RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#112 :: Monday, 15 July 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#112 :: Monday, 15 July 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. The National Interest: Nicolai Petro, Will Nationalism Poison Ukraine’s New President? Volodymr Zelensky’s election win was a result of Ukraine’s pent-up demand for normalcy with Russia. But now it looks like Ukraine’s new president is succumbing to nationalist pressure.
2. Indian Punchline: M.K. Bhadrakumar, Ukraine remains the signpost of world politics.
3. www.rt.com: Demonstrators rally for disqualified independent candidates in Moscow city election. – rt.com/russia/464165-protests-moscow-city-elections/
4. Interfax: Meeting with Moscow City Elections Commission chair didn’t take place – opposition candidates to Moscow City Duma.
5. Interfax: Pamfilova says ready to meet with independent candidates to Moscow City Duma.
6. Paul Goble: Capital’s Hard Line on Local Election Registration Further Radicalizing Muscovites, Yudin Says.
7. Moscow Times: Russian Cop Jailed for Ignoring Murdered Domestic Violence Victim’s Pleas.
8. Interfax: Insult law applied excessively at times – Kremlin.
10. www.rt.com: Against the sanctions run of play: German investments in Russia set to smash 10-year record. – rt.com/business/464143-german-investments-surge-russia/?fbclid=IwAR1___emZqHD_SjRrh96gPys_fXZcwvo9bkdJDS3HelruBFo2vjbUJG1VZM
11. www.rt.com: Visa vows not to refuse to process payments in Russia in compliance with US sanctions.
12. Bloomberg: Russia Inc. Gets Environment Wake-Up Call From Church of England. This year has seen a substantial increase in investors’ environmental concerns.
13. Xinhua: News Analysis: Why U.S. moves to block Russia’s gas pipeline?
14. The National Interest: Nadya Glebova, Russia’s Real Reasons for Partnering with Iran. Moscow has a vested interest in the state of affairs in the Persian Gulf; it has tried its best to contain the impact that the U.S.-Iranian crisis could have on its own national security.
15. Russian International Affairs Council: Andrey Kortunov, The Strait of Hormuz and the Gulf of Aden. – russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/the-strait-of-hormuz-and-the-gulf-of-aden/
16. Valdai Discussion ClubGuney Yildiz, Facing Challenges: How Resilient Is the Turkish-Russian Relationship? – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/facing-challenges-how-resilient-is-turkish-russian/
17. Bloomberg: India, Russia Seek to Skirt U.S. Sanctions Threat to Arms Deals.
18. FAIR.org: ‘Hypersonic Missiles’ Aren’t Starting an Arms Race-Washington Is.
19. The Bell: Russia-Georgia relations have gone from the threat of sanctions to hope for a truce in just a few days.
20. Reuters: Kremlin Ally Says Prisoner Swap Could Be Soon if Ukraine Serious.
21. TASS: Ukrainian PM admits impossible to sever train connection with Russia.
22. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Poll shows high hopes ahead of Ukraine’s weekend general election.
23. Intellinews.com: Ukraine’s president under fire over plan to expand lustration.
24. www.rt.com: ‘We have nothing to quarrel about’: Russians & Ukrainians speak for unity at televised conference. – rt.com/news/464048-russia-ukraine-televised-conference-unity/
25. www.rt.com: Ukrainian broadcaster drops Oliver Stone’s documentary after threats to staff & grenade attack. – rt.com/news/464197-ukraine-tv-stone-documentary/ [Official teaser https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCiQTCSgw_M and http://revealingukraine.com/] [See also: 112.international/society/oliver-stone-presented-his-revealing-ukraine-documentary-at-taormina-film-festival-41346.html] [And: https://www.thedailybeast.com/revealing-ukraine-oliver-stones-latest-piece-of-pro-putin-propaganda-may-be-his-most-shameless-move-yet?via=rss]
26. New York Times: A ‘Dark Lord’ Falls in Russia’s Growing Power Struggle. (excerpt)
27. Defense One: Russia Is Perfecting the Art of Crushing Uprisings Against Authoritarian Regimes. A Russian military leader revealed the blueprint for using mercenaries, militias, and special operations forces to backup dictators from Venezuela to Africa. (excerpt)
28. Wall Street Journal: Laura Kolbe, ‘Rock, Paper, Scissors’ Review: Wishing and Waiting. Eleven stories by a Russian cardiologist that show how doctors and patients alike soothe themselves with lies, shortcuts and elisions.