RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#109 :: Tuesday, 9 July 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#109 :: Tuesday, 9 July 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. The Ambassador’s Brief (Australia): Dmitri Trenin, Russia.
2. TASS: Kremlin: Law enforcement agencies need to work hard to regain people’s trust.
3. Washington Post: Robert Samuelson, Does Vladimir Putin have a point?
4. The National Interest: Nikolas Gvosdev, How the Russian Orthodox Church Influences Russia’s Behavior. If we have truly entered a new era of great-power competition, then every Russian has been given a clear rationale for why he fights-and it will provide the Russian state with the justification for why it asks its people to bear new burdens.
5. Vedomosti: Russian daily views attempts to bar ‘unwanted’ candidates from elections.
7. TASS: Izvestia: Russians become ‘easy target’ for cyber scammers.
8. Carnegie Moscow Center: Konstantin Kazenin, New Model North Caucasus: Kremlin Tries New Approach in Ingushetia.
9. Russia Beyond: How risky is Russia’s first-ever floating nuclear power plant? – rbth.com/business/330632-fnnp-akademik-lomonosov
11. www.rt.com: Mikhail Khodarenok, Big war in the Arctic: How could it happen? – rt.com/op-ed/463661-arctic-war-route-sea/
12. Arctic Today: A convoy of private planes is making a friendship flight to link Alaska and Russia. Eleven pilots and passengers in six planes will fly a rarely used route between Nome, Alaska and Provideniya, Chukotka in hopes of keeping strong cross-border connections.
13. www.rt.com: Germany says it needs Nord Stream 2, denies being captive to Russian energy supplies.
14. Russian International Affairs Council: Mark Entin and Ekaterina Entina, Testing by the Council of Europe. – russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/testing-by-the-council-of-europe/
15. Valdai Discussion Club: Nikolay Mezhevich, New EU Leaders and Russia’s Interests.
16. TASS: Kommersant: Russia poised to turn the heat up on Georgia.
17. Reuters: Putin opposes Russian parliament call for Georgia sanctions.
18. www.rt.com: UK tabloids theorize Russia hacked ambassador’s Trump memos…as London eggs them on. – rt.com/news/463724-uk-trump-memos-blame-russia/
19. AFP: UK bars RT, Sputnik from conference for ‘disinformation’
20. The Federalist: New Report: Mueller Lacks Substantiating Evidence Of Russian Election Interference.
21. Consortiumnews.com: Ray McGovern, Ex-FBI, CIA Officials Draw Withering Fire on Russiagate. The Deep State almost always wins. But if Attorney General Barr leans hard on Trump to unfetter investigators, all hell may break lose. – consortiumnews.com/2019/07/08/ray-mcgovern-ex-fbi-cia-officials-draw-withering-fire-on-russiagate/
22. Haaretz (Israel): Rights Groups Demand Israel Stop Arming neo-Nazis in Ukraine. Human rights activists petition the court to cease Israeli arms exports to Ukraine since some of these weapons reach neo-Nazi elements in Ukraine’s security forces.
23. Interfax: Zelensky’s idea of multilateral Donbas summit has right to exist – Lavrov.
24. Paul Goble: West Now Wants Rapprochement with Moscow More than at Any Time since 2014, Inozemtsev Says.
25. TASS: Taking his cue from Poroshenko: Expert blasts Zelensky’s bid to expand Normandy Four.
26. https://en.hromadske.ua: Historian Snyder on Language, Zelenskyy and Vakarchuk.
27. New Cold War: New president, old politics: will Zelensky be another Poroshenko?. Written exclusively for the New Cold War website by Stepan Antonov, this essay explores the possibilities for change in Ukraine since the election of Volodymyr Zelensky in April and his victory over the incumbent President Poroshenko. – newcoldwar.org/new-president-old-politics-will-zelensky-be-another-poroshenko/
28. The Express (UK): The biggest Western myth about Vladimir Putin ‘we’re too afraid to acknowledge’ revealed. AN EXPERT on Russian policy has revealed the biggest misconception that the West harbours about President Vladimir Putin and why they are “too afraid” to acknowledge the truth.