RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#108 :: Monday, 8 July 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#108 :: Monday, 8 July 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. TASS: Love and Marriage: Latest poll shows how Russians view matrimony and divorce.
2. Paul Goble: A Majority of Russians Want Change But Many Fear Instability, Moscow Institute of Sociology Study Says.
3. Moscow Times: Yelena Solovyova, Protests in Shiyes: How a Garbage Dump Galvanized Russia’s Civil Society. After months of protests, locals say they won’t back down against government plans for a massive landfill in Russia’s north.
4. Vedomosti: Poll says dislike of US does not result in rise in Putin approval rating. (Alexei Levinson)
5. www.project-syndicate.org: Stephen Holmes, Putin’s Ambivalent Illiberalism. Vladimir Putin’s recent elegy for Western liberalism has garnered widespread attention for all the wrong reasons. Behind the Russian president’s cynical rhetoric lie deep anxieties about what US President Donald Trump’s illiberal, anti-democratic administration could mean for international security and Putin’s own hold on power.
6. Moscow Times: Bruno Maçães, Why Putin Wants to Believe in the Death of Liberalism. For the Kremlin, post-liberalism serves as way out of its current predicament.
7. www.memri.org: Russian Economic Expert Inozemtsev: Putin’s National Projects Lack Both Grandeur And Specifics.
8. www.rt.com: Future Moscow skyscraper to become Europe’s tallest residential complex.
– rt.com/business/463535-moscow-tallest-skyscraper-europe/ [See also: https://www.businessinsider.com/moscow-russia-financial-district-trump-tower-photos-2019-7. “I spent an afternoon in Moscow’s $12 billion financial district, home to some of Europe’s tallest skyscrapers and where Trump once wanted to build a tower. Here’s what it looks like.”]
9. Moscow Times: Russia Approves ‘Shortest’ Europe-China Highway – Reports.
10. https://gilbertdoctorow.com: Gilbert Doctorow, Where is consumer purchasing power headed in Russia? A question raised in Vladimir Putin’s ‘Direct Line’ program on 20 June. – gilbertdoctorow.com/2019/07/07/where-is-consumer-purchasing-power-headed-in-russia-a-question-raised-in-vladimir-putins-direct-line-program-on-20-june/
11. The National Interest: Mark Episkopos, Spy Sub Down: How a Secret Russian Nuclear Submarine Caught Fire. What we know at the moment.
12. Carnegie Moscow Center: Fyodor Lukyanov, Dawn Breaks on New Era in EU-Russia Relations. – carnegie.ru/commentary/79452
13. Arab News: Theodore Karasik, Putin’s Rome trip highlights Italy’s importance to Russia.
14. The Unz Review: Israel Shamir, Russia, America, and Iran. – unz.com/ishamir/russia-america-and-iran/
15. TASS: Kommersant: USAID to engage in propaganda blitz against Russia.
16. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, FUNNY OLD WORLD. (“It’s been a fascinating day’s reading on the information warfare front.”)
17. www.strategic-culture.org: Patrick Armstrong, How Stupid Do They Think We Are?
18. Russia in Global Affairs: Grigory Berdennikov and Asya Shavrova, The comprehensive nuclear test ban treaty: Another victim of US nuclear policy?
19. Valdai Discussion Club: Anton Bespalov, Russia’s Return to the Middle East: War and Diplomacy.
20. Jacobin: Aaron Giovannone, Chernobyl: The Show Russiagate Wrote.
21. AP: Russia’s Flight Ban for Georgia Takes Effect.
22. www.aljazeera.com: Mansur Mirovaleve, Caught in Ukraine’s violence, war and identity crisis. Alarm raised over ultra-nationalist attacks following 50 incidents of political violence last year.
23. Financial Times: Ukraine’s Zelensky calls for Putin and Trump to join peace talks. President takes swipe at Russia for annexation of southern Crimean peninsula in 2014.
24. Paul Goble: ‘Zelensky’s Absurd Actions have had a Pro-Russian Result,’ Tsipko Says.
25. www.rt.com: Ukrainian TV drops show co-hosted with Russian broadcaster over ‘death threats’ & govt pressure.
26. TASS: Kommersant: Zelensky struggles to win support of Donbass voters.
27. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, WILL THE UKRAINE PARLIAMENT ELECTION REVERSE THE MAIDAN PUTSCH, DRIVE THE GALICIANS FROM POWER?
28. Los Angeles Review of Books: Literature in a Time of Collusion: A Conversation Between Jennifer Wilson, Hilah Kohen, Julia Phillips, and Fiona Bell.
29. Russia Reviewed: More about Russia in a time of confusion.
30. www.rt.com: EU’s ‘Russian meddling’ alert system not detecting any meddling.
31. www.craigmurray.org.uk: Craig Murray, How To Spot A Twitter Troll.
32. www.realclearinvestigations.com: Aaron Mate, CrowdStrikeOut: Mueller’s Own Report Undercuts Its Core Russia-Meddling Claims.