RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#107 :: Friday, 5 July 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#107 :: Friday, 5 July 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Moscow Times: Putin’s Approval Rating Steadily Increases to 68%, Survey Says.
2. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Commentary says US, Russia further apart than during Cold War. (Fyodor Lukyanov)
3. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Putin at work at the illiberal G20 summit.
4. Beyond the Kremlin: Mark Smith, Most enjoyable Russia book of the year? Many fine books have been published on Russia this year. But one of them kept me turning the pages more quickly than the others, and not from a dutiful need to get to the end. Which one was it? (Jeremy Morris, Everyday Post-Socialism: Working-Class Communities in the Russian Margins)
5. Postsocialism: Jeremy Morris, Conference Groundhog Day – Russian self-stigmatisation and more public opinion problems. – postsocialism.org/2019/06/26/conference-groundhog-day-russian-self-stigmatisation-and-more-public-opinion-problems/
6. Al Jazeera: Leonid Ragozin, Change is coming to Russia, but very slowly. Putin is losing popularity, but why has the opposition failed to gain much ground?
7. www.rt.com: ‘Projects that change cities’: World experts design future metropolitan life at Moscow Urban Forum. – rt.com/russia/463413-moscow-urban-forum-2019/]
8. TASS: Nabiullina names problems that hinder successful national project implementation.
9. TASS: Russian economic development hampered by internal restrictions – Central Bank chief.
10. Bloomberg: Easy Money Won’t Fix Russian Growth Problem, Central Banker Says.
11. Oilprice.com: Putin: Oil Price Volatility Is Hurting Russia’s Economy.
12. Intellinews.com: Fireworks over US embassy as GAZ workers protest against sanctions on July 4.
13. AP: Russia’s Whale Release Plan Called Success Despite Criticism.
14. www.rt.com: Western media dubs Russia’s mobile power plant ‘floating Chernobyl’, but is it? – rt.com/news/463419-floating-nuclear-power-plant/
15. AP: AP gets rare peek behind the curtain at famed Bolshoi Ballet.
16. New York Times: NATO Considers Missile Defense Upgrade, Risking Further Tensions With Russia.
17. New York Post: Marc Thiessen, Despite ‘thug hugs,’ Trump is tougher on despots than Obama.
18. Russian International Affairs Council: Vadim Kozyulin, The Global Hypersonic Race. – russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/the-global-hypersonic-race/
19. www.rt.com: Strings attached: Why US can’t stop using ‘toxic’ Russian RD-180 rocket engines. – rt.com/news/463401-us-russia-rocket-engines/
20. Christian Science Monitor: Scott Peterson, Russian missiles for Turkey? What’s at stake as collision looms. For years NATO watchers have looked on with concern as Turkey has courted Russia even as its ties with the U.S. have frayed. Now a Russian missile deal has become a pivotal issue of Turkish identity.
21. The Diplomat: Rajeswari Pillai Rajagopalan, Russia-India-China Trilateral Grouping: More Than Hype? A closer look at the development of the mechanism and the drivers behind it.
22. Valdai Discussion Club: Andrey Sushentsov, The Policy of the Golden Mean: Kazakhstan’s Experience for Greater Eurasia. – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/the-policy-of-the-golden-mean-kazakhstan/
23. The Economist: Back in the bear pit. Russia plays games with Georgia. An unwelcome Russian visitor has helped to revive an old antagonism.
24. Awful Avalanche: Gruzian Revanchism And Russian Pop Culture – Part III. – awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2019/07/05/gruzian-revanchism-and-russian-pop-culture-part-iii/
25. Russia Insider/Vesti: Russia’s #1 Journalist Hammers Biden’s Assistant for Fomenting Unrest in Georgia. (re Michael Carpenter) – russia-insider.com/en/russias-1-journalist-hammers-bidens-assistant-fomenting-unrest-georgia-kiselyov/ri27389
26. Bloomberg: Russia’s Bid to Win a Firmer Foothold in Ukraine Is Falling Flat.
27. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Kiev’s gas policy leaves Ukraine wide open to serious crisis by 2020.
28. Kyiv Post: Putin calls for Ukraine to end ‘economic blockade’ of Donbas.
29. Kyiv Post: Trench warfare rages on Donbas frontline. (excerpt)
30. Moskovsky Komsomolets: Mikhail Rostovsky, Secret alliance of Zelensky and Putin: What happens behind the scene of sudden warming of Russian-Ukrainian relations.
31. Wall Street Journal: Richard Hanania, Trump, Social Science and Media Bias. A dubious study finds a correlation between Russian troll activity and his 2016 polls.
32. Carnegie Endowment for International Peace: Nicole Ng and Eugene Rumor, The West Fears Russia’s Hybrid Warfare. They’re Missing the Bigger Picture.