RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#104 :: Tuesday 2 July 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#104 :: Tuesday, 2 July 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Russia Matters: Thomas Graham, The Osaka Meeting: Is the Tide Turning in US-Russian Relations?
2. Valdai Discussion Club: Ivan Timofeev, Putin-Trump Meeting in Osaka: A Course Towards Stabilisation. – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/putin-trump-meeting-in-osaka/
3. Russian International Affairs Council: Igor Ivanov, Why Should We Be Grateful to Donald Trump? – russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/why-should-we-be-grateful-to-donald-trump/
4. Russia Beyond: What qualities can Russians actually be proud of?
5. Moscow Times: Russians’ Belief in Aliens, Magic and Superstition Plummets – Poll. – rbth.com/lifestyle/330598-what-qualities-russians-proud
6. Levada.ru: TV is Russians’ favourite pastime – poll.
7. Christian Science Monitor: Fred Weir, Putin flexes as ‘good czar,’ but can he remake Russia? It is easy to get caught up in the smoke and mirrors of Vladimir Putin’s rule. But it hides a debate over whether Russia is stuck in a Soviet mindset, or if it should benefit as much as it can from top-down governance.
8. Vedomosti: Maxim Trudolyubov: Why There Will Not Be a Putin Thaw: Russia’s Ruler Cannot Suddenly Start a Thaw in the Middle of His Rule — This is a Matter for his Successor.
9. Carnegie Moscow Center: Andrey Pertsev, Symbolism and Radicalization: The New Russian Protest.
10. Intellinews.com: Russian GDP growth to pick up, modestly.
11. Russia Insider/Vesti.ru: Report From Russia’s Heartland – The Economy in Beautiful Nizhny Novogord Is Thriving (Russian TV News) – russia-insider.com/en/report-russias-heartland-economy-beautiful-nizhny-novogord-thriving-russian-tv-news/ri27321
12. Deutsche Welle: Will Russia splash rainy day cash? The Russian economy is crawling along at a low rate of growth, with oil prices insufficient to boost state revenues. But, an oil price rise raises the prospect of Moscow delving into its oil funds to boost growth.
13. New York Times: The World’s Top Stock Market? Right Now, It’s Russia. Russian stocks are generating some of the highest returns of 2019, as investors get over the shock of last year’s sanctions.
14. Financial Times: Henry Foy, The Russian oligarchs are gone. Long may they prosper! Putin gained power by neutering the old cadre. But new names have sprung up to fill their places.
15. Meduza: From cradle to grave. Maxim Trudolyubov explains why Russia’s ‘state-family’ business elites are living dangerously.
16. Wall Street Journal: OPEC, Russia Formalize Cooperation Pact. OPEC+ coalition agree to continue coordinating on oil production once the current deal ends.
17. Oilprice.com: Putin Undermines OPEC’s Power.
18. www.rt.com: Russia’s floating nuclear power plant ready to heat up the Arctic.
19. Vesti.ru: Nord Stream 2 is Unstoppable! Pipeline Now 60% Done and Work Shows No Signs of Slowing! – vesti.ru/doc.html?id=3164036&cid=4441
20. Paul Goble: Yet Another Benefit from USSR’s Disintegration – Large Reduction in Release of Greenhouse Gases.
21. AFP: Russia tells Iran ‘not to give in to emotions’ in nuclear standoff. Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says Russia will do everything to help preserve the Iran nuclear accord.
22. Russian International Affairs Council: Andrey Kortunov, Europe’s Greens as Future Strategic Partners of Russia. – russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/europe-s-greens-as-future-strategic-partners-of-russia/
23. Valdai Discussion Club: Oleg Barabanov, PACE and the Challenge of European Values for Russia. – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/pace-and-the-challenge-of-european-values/]
24. Valdai Discussion Club: Leonid Bliakher, Russia’s Turn to the East: Leaving the Comfort Zone and a Change of Civilizational Choice. – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/russia-s-turn-to-the-east-leaving-the-comfort-zone/
25. TASS: Russia hopes its reaction has brought to reason political gamblers in Georgia – diplomat.
26. Kyiv Post: New poll: 5 parties can make it to Ukraine’s parliament in July 21 election.
27. Interfax: Ukrainization should be ‘quite mild’ – Zelensky’s envoy to Verkhovna Rada.
28. Intellinews.com: Ukraine takes “world’s large grain exporter” title from Russia.
29. Gizmodo: Alleged Cyber Attack on Russia’s Yandex Used Malware Tied to Western Intelligence. (excerpt)
30. Washington Post: Philip Bump, No, Russian Twitter trolls didn’t demonstrably push Trump’s poll numbers higher.
31. www.rt.com: John Wight, In daring to assert Russian interference in Brexit is a myth, Nick Clegg is excommunicated. – rt.com/op-ed/462741-nick-clegg-brexit-facebook-russia/
32. Sunday Times (UK): Max Hastings, The Russia Anxiety by Mark B Smith review – should we fear the Russian bear? We need to get over our Russophobia, argues this book. Our reviewer is wary.