RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#103 :: Monday 1 July 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#103 :: Monday, 1 July 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Politico.com: Russia beating U.S. in race for global influence, Pentagon study says. A divided America is failing to counter Moscow’s efforts to undermine democracy and cast doubt on U.S. alliances, says the report, which warns of a surge in ‘political warfare.’
2. AP: Putin says liberalism ‘eating itself,’ migrant influx wrong.
3. Kremlin.ru: Vladimir Putin’s news conference. Following the G20 summit, the President of Russia answered journalists’ questions.
4. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: G20 summit proves effective.
5. TASS: Kremlin says Putin not averse to liberalism.
6. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Why Putin Sounds Alt-Right Though He Really Isn’t. The Russian president said liberalism has become obsolete. His anti-liberal signalling is part of an effort to break down the current world order.
7. Twitter: Mary Dejevsky, Re Putin on Liberalism.
8. Facebook: Fred Weir, Re Putin on Liberalism.
9. Moon of Alabama: How Russia’s President Putin Explains The End Of The ‘Liberal’ Order. (excerpt) – moonofalabama.org/2019/06/russias-president-putin-explains-the-end-of-the-liberal-order.html
10. The Guardian (UK): Natalie Nougayrède, Forget Putin’s ‘liberalism’ jibe. This man runs a war machine. For too long, the west has turned a blind eye to Russian atrocities in a string of wars. (excerpt)
11. www.rt.com: ‘Lawlessness & power abuse’ – Putin on scandal over journalist Golunov’s drug arrest.
12. Interfax: Russian PM urges United Russia party to back investigative reporters.
13. www.rt.com: ‘You don’t have AIDS’: RT documentary takes on Russia’s top HIV denialist (VIDEO) – rt.com/news/463013-hiv-aids-denialists-krasovsky-irkutsk/
14. Meduza: 2019, so far Meduza reviews Russia’s biggest news stories over the first six months of the year.
15. Paul Goble: Economic Decline Won’t Spark a Revolution and Kremlin Sees No Need for Change, Inozemtsev Says.
16. www.rt.com: ‘6 or 5 genders…no idea what that even is’: Putin says LGBT should not enforce their agenda on kids
17. Awful Avalanche: Elton John vs Putin Debate On Homosexuality – awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2019/06/30/elton-john-vs-putin-debate-on-homosexuality/
18. Russia Observer: Patrick Armstrong, RUSSIAN FEDERATION SITREP 27 JUNE 2019. – patrickarmstrong.ca/2019/06/27/russian-federation-sitrep-27-june-2019/
19. Chatham House: Mathieu Boulègue, Russia’s Military Posture in the Arctic. Managing Hard Power in a ‘Low Tension’ Environment. (excerpt)
20. www.rt.com: Expect US to fight back as Russia & China lead BRICS away from dollar trade.
21. www.rt.com: Russia ‘will NOT ask’ US to lift sanctions.
22. TASS: US election campaign may hamper improvement of dialogue with Russia, says senior diplomat.
23. Interfax: Russia, U.S. reached understanding in Osaka on strategic stability – Ryabkov.
24. Valdai Discussion Club: Anton Bespalov, Russia’s Turn to the East: Expectations and the Reality. – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/russia-s-turn-to-the-east-expectations-and-the-rea/
25. Asia Times: Pepe Escobar, Russia-India-China share a room with a view. No leaks from their trilateral at the G20, but the trend toward togetherness is clear.
26. Jerusalem Post: RUSSIA AND SYRIA: HOW MOSCOW VIEWS THE MIDDLE EAST TODAY. Russia’s embassy in Israel puts out a weekly newsletter that is particularly interesting revealing Moscow’s views of the region.
27. Wall Street Journal: Tiny Moldova Fears Russia Is Playing a Long Game. For years, Europe’s poorest country has been torn between Russia and the West-and Moscow still has the upper hand.
28. Awful Avalanche: Gruzian Hospitality: That is Sacred and Holy Thing! (re Georgia and Russia) – awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2019/06/29/gruzian-hospitality-that-is-sacred-and-holy-thing/]
29. TASS: Kremlin on possible Putin-Zelensky meeting: The result is what matters.
30. Interfax: Kremlin has nothing to add to Putin’s remark on Zelensky’s call for freeing Ukrainian sailors – Peskov.
31. The National Interest: Adam Lammon, Will Ukraine Begin a New Dialogue With Moscow? Volodymyr Zelensky was elected on a platform of compromise with Russia and public support seems to be firmly on his side, but other problems restricting his political latitude remain.
32. New Cold War: Dmitry Kovalevich, June update: The political ‘dance’ of Ukraine’s new president; one step forward, one step back. – newcoldwar.org/june-update-the-political-dance-of-ukraines-new-president-one-step-forward-one-step-back/
33. Foreign Policy: Vladislav Davidzon, The Death of Ukraine’s Liberals. Western-oriented reformers are about to get completely wiped out in parliamentary elections-and they have nobody to blame but themselves.
34. https://legalinsurrection.com: The faux outrage over Trump laughingly telling Putin not to meddle is ludicrous. – legalinsurrection.com/2019/06/the-faux-outrage-over-trump-laughingly-telling-putin-not-to-meddle-is-ludicrous/