RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#100 :: Tuesday 25 June 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#100 :: Tuesday, 25 June 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Kremlin.ru: Direct Line with Vladimir Putin. (transcript concluded)
2. Russia Insider: Putin Explains Why He’s So Polite When Western Elites Are So Rude to Him.
3. Vesti.ru: The Eternal Question! What is Putin Doing About Corruption in Russia and is He Harsh. – vesti.ru/doc.html?id=3160135&cid=4441
4. Vesti.ru: Putin: Soviet Union Was Destroyed Without Support of People, Completely Undemocratically! – vesti.ru/doc.html?id=3160555&cid=4441
5. Moscow Times: Russia’s Middle Class Is Shrinking – Bank Report.
6. Meduza: ‘Saving Ivan Golunov’ A new documentary film shows the Ivan Golunov case through the eyes of those at its epicenter.
7. Kennan Institute: William Pomeranz, Kennan Cable No. 42: Russia’s Resilient Legal Powerhouse: The Procuracy Enters the 21st Century. (excerpt) [Full Tex: wilsoncenter.org/publication/kennan-cable-no-42-russias-resilient-legal-powerhouse-the-procuracy-enters-the-21st]
8. Vedomosti: Commentary views shift in Russians’ values. (Maxim Trudolyubov)
9. The Times (UK): Russian Orthodox Church to stop blessing missiles.
10. Public Finance International: Russia plans Arctic sea route.
11. Russian International Affairs Council: Andrey Kortunov and Richard A. Conn, Jr., We Are US/Russia Experts From Opposing Sides Finding Common Ground. – russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/we-are-us-russia-experts-from-opposing-sides-finding-common-ground/
12. War on the Rocks: SAMUEL CHARAP AND IVAN TIMOFEEV, CAN WASHINGTON AND MOSCOW AGREE TO LIMIT POLITICAL INTERFERENCE? – warontherocks.com/2019/06/can-washington-and-moscow-agree-to-limit-political-interference/
13. Moscow Times: Leonid Bershidsky, Russia’s Power Grid Is an Easy Target for U.S. Hacking. The real message U.S. officials are sending to Moscow is that Russia can be attacked without White House authorization.
14. www.rt.com: PACE invites Russia back to European human rights body.
15. The Independent (UK): Sanctions against Russia at Council of Europe lifted sparking outrage from Ukraine. Ukrainian delegation walks out in protest.
16. Asia Times: Alexander Kruglov, Beijing-Moscow relations at ‘highest level.’ Western animosity is pushing the two fellow travelers ever closer – in trade, tech, infrastructure, energy and policy. But there are strains.
17. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Notes on Russian Attitudes on China. – unz.com/akarlin/notes-on-russian-attitudes-on-china/
18. www.rt.com: Done deal: Turkey says it ‘already bought’ Russian S-400 & US sanctions won’t change that. – rt.com/news/462576-turkey-s400-done-deal-sanctions/
19. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, AGAINST THE BLITZ WOLF – RUSSIAN REINFORCEMENTS FOR IRAN’S DEFENCE IN WAR AGAINST ALL. – johnhelmer.net/against-the-blitz-wolf-russian-reinforcements-for-irans-defence-in-war-against-all/
20. TASS: Izvestia: Ex-speaker slams Georgian elite’s ‘stupidity’ for deteriorating ties with Russia.
21. Los Angeles Times: Jeff Opdyke, Crimea is an unexpected beauty set against an unsettled history.
22. www.rt.com: Neil Clark, Cri-me-a-blues: Sanctimonious sanctions on Russia are damaging the EU, so why renew them? – rt.com/op-ed/462574-eu-russia-sanctions-ukraine/
23. Natylie’s Place: Natalie Baldwin, UKRAINIAN INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALIST DIES FROM BEATING AFTER BEING COMATOSE FOR WEEKS, WESTERN MEDIA SILENT. – natyliesbaldwin.com/2019/06/ukrainian-investigative-journalist-dies-from-beating-after-being-comatose-for-weeks-western-media-silent-chris-hedges-interviews-matt-taibbi-on-the-degeneration-of-american-media/
24. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Poroshenko still pulling Ukraine’s strings from behind the scene.
25. Kyiv Post: Experts in Washington debate whether Ukraine is making progress.
26. Atlantic Council: Steven Pifer, One Month into the Zelenskyy Presidency and Ukraine’s Still Here.
27. Transitions Online: Peter Rutland, Chernobyl: Anatomy of Disaster. Some historical events are so momentous that the human mind finds it hard to comprehend their scale and complexity. The nuclear catastrophe at Chernobyl falls into that category.
28. Politico.com: Andrew Weiss, Trump’s Confused Russia Policy Is a Boon for Putin. And it isn’t helped by the imminent departure of several staff with expertise on the subject.
29. New York Times Magazine: Sarah Topol, What Does Putin Really Want? Russia is dead set on being a global power. But what looks like grand strategy is often improvisation – amid America’s retreat.