RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2022-#42 :: Thursday, 24 February 2022
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2021-#42 :: Thursday, 24 February 2022
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Kremlin.ru: Address by the President of the Russian Federation.
2. rt.com: Putin will decide when Ukraine offensive ends – Kremlin.
3. Asia Times: Andrew Salmoon, Putin lurches from cold rationality to incendiary gamble. Putin has made his move – the world now awaits Biden’s response.
4. Moscow Times: Russia’s Economy on the Brink of Crisis After Ukraine Attack. Despite Moscow’s talk about a sanctions-proof economy, Putin’s military action will likely have steep costs.
5. AP: Russia-Ukraine conflict raises big risks for global economy.
6. Awful Avalanche: Nuances Of the Recognition.
7. Twitter: Aaron Mate, Civilian casualties.
8. Washington Post: Robert Hunter, A few words could defuse the Ukrainian conflict.
9. Foreign Policy: Stephen Walt, The West Is Sleepwalking Into War in Ukraine. It’s not easy to make sense of how the United States and Europe are responding to Russia’s aggression.
10. Bloomberg: Jonas Bernstein, Six Early Thoughts on Russia’s Invasion of Ukraine. No one knows how this situation will end. But a few things are already clear.
11. Asia Times: Nikola Mikovic, Tracking Putin’s flip-flops on Ukraine. History shows that Putin has changed his stance several times on Ukraine issues including in regard to its sovereignty.
12. Russian International Affairs Council: Igor Ivanov, Starting A New Page.
13. Indian Punchline: M.K. Bhadrakumar, Putin crosses the Rubicon. What next?
14. akarlin.substack.com: Anatoly Karlin, Happening: The Ukraine War 2022. The Last Argument of Kings.
15. Moon of Alabama: Disarming Ukraine.
16. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, BLOG TERMINATED/PRE-EMPTIVE CONDEMNATION.
17. gilbertdoctorow.com: Gilbert Doctorow, Unjustified and Unprovoked? Russia’s ongoing ‘military operation’ in Ukraine.
18. The National Interest: Mark Katz. Blame It on Lenin: What Putin Gets Wrong About Ukraine. Instead of blaming Lenin, Putin should draw lessons from Lenin’s realization that a more accommodative approach toward Ukrainian nationalism would better serve Russia’s long-term interests.
19. The Daily Mail (UK): Peter Hitchens, Why I blame the arrogant, foolish West for the Russian invasion.
20. Consortium News: Diana Johnstone, US Foreign Policy Is a Cruel Sport. Bear baiting was long ago banned as inhumane. Yet today, a version is being practiced every day against whole nations on a gigantic international scale.
21. Yahoo News: Alexander Nazaryan, What the West doesn’t understand about Russia or Ukraine.
22. New York Times: Many Russians Feel a Deep Unease Over Going to War. After months of tuning out American warnings that Vladimir Putin was preparing to invade Ukraine, Russians now realize that “this is not a game.”
23. Antiwar.com: Ted Snider, Biden’s Historic Blunder and Putin’s Loss of Patience.
24. Moscow Times: Navalny Calls Ukraine War ‘Distraction’ From Russia’s Problems.
25. AP: AP-NORC poll: Most in US oppose major role in Russia strife.