RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2021-#91 :: Wednesday, 28 April 2021
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2021-#91 :: Wednesday, 28 April 2021
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Intellinews: Ben Aris, The vaccine wars. Russia has been earning significant brownie points by supplying its Sputnik V vaccine to developing countries that can’t afford, or simply can’t get hold of, the Western-made alternatives.
2. Bloomberg: Russians Reject Vaccines as Kremlin Fears New Covid-19 Wave.
3. Moscow Times: Is Russia Entering a Third Coronavirus Wave? Despite the Kremlin denying a hidden rise in cases, figures for Moscow and reports from hospitals paint a worrying picture.
4. TASS: Kommersant: Russia’s election campaign to focus on foreign interference.
5. rt.com: Liberals demanding pro-Western policies from Moscow simply ‘don’t understand Russian genetic code,’ Foreign Minister Lavrov claims. – rt.com/russia/522345-lavrov-liberals-understand-genetic-code/
6. Meduza: Team Navalny’s final days. Russia’s justice system hasn’t yet banned the opposition movement, technically speaking, but just try telling that to activists on the ground.
7. rt.com: Russian ex-police officers face up to 16 years in prison over claims they fabricated false drugs charges against Meduza journalist – rt.com/russia/522284-police-officers-prizon-golunov-case/
9. The Nation: Vadim Nikitin, As Alexey Navalny’s Health Deteriorates, the Movement’s Momentum Flags. But across Russia, another kind of power is building.
10. natyliesbaldwin.com: Deena Stryker, CARNEGIE ENDOWMENT’S ANALYSIS OF PUTIN ADDRESS DISTORTS RUSSIAN PRESIDENT’S PRIORITIES & MESSAGE – natyliesbaldwin.com/2021/04/guest-post-deena-stryker-carnegie-endowments-analysis-of-putin-address-distorts-russian-presidents-priorities-message/
11. Facebook: Fred Weir, Russia has become a financial fortress.
12. TASS: Izvestia: Russia keeping up de-dollarization efforts.
13. Moscow Times: Felix Light, As the Caspian Sea Disappears, Life Goes on for Those Living by Its Shores. Scientists predict the world’s largest inland sea will shrink by a quarter due to climate change by the end of the century.
15. rt.com: Washington rejected Moscow’s offer of complete reset in Russia-US relations shortly after inauguration of Biden, FM Lavrov reveals – rt.com/russia/522343-lavrov-us-rejects-better-relations/
16. American Committee of US-Russia Accord: Lyle Goldstein, Parsing Putin’s Red Lines.
17. Russian International Affairs Council: Andrey Kortunov and Malcolm Chalmers, UK–Russia Security Dialogue. European Security – russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/uk-russia-security-dialogue-european-security/
18. Sputnik: Moscow Will Not Allow Iran to Have Nuclear Bomb Under Any Circumstances, Russian Envoy Says – sputniknews.com/world/202104271082742175-moscow-will-not-allow-iran-to-have-nuclear-bomb-under-any-circumstances-russian-envoy-says/
19. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Ex-Soviet states to face new threats after US-NATO troops leave Afghanistan.
20. Sputnik: Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov Lavrov Warns Reversing Minsk Agreements Could Lead to Massacre in Donbass – sputniknews.com/world/202104281082747408-lavrov-warns-reversing-minsk-agreements-could-lead-to-massacre-in-donbass/
21. Intellinews: Even Russians protesting against Putin support the annexation of Crimea.
22. AP: Russia rejects Ukraine’s push to revise 2015 peace deal.
23. Wall Street Journal: Georgi Kantchev and Anastasia Vlasova, In Ukraine’s East, Fears Grow of New Russian Power Play; Kyiv is battling pro-Russia separatists and friction is building, threatening to draw in the U.S.
24. RFE/RL: Zelenskiy Warns That Russian Troops Can Return At ‘Any Moment’
25. strategic-culture.org: Brian Cloughley, No Invasions. But the Sparks Continue. It has never been Russia’s intention to invade Ukraine: this has been clear to the objective analysts of Western professional military institutions – strategic-culture.org/news/2021/04/27/no-invasions-but-the-sparks-continue/