RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2021-#89 :: Monday, 26 April 2021
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2021-#89 :: Monday, 26 April 2021
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. TASS: Putin-Biden summit planned for summer, Kremlin says.
2. strategic-culture.org: Patrick Armstrong, Russia, Russia, Ever Failing – strategic-culture.org/news/2021/04/25/russia-russia-ever-failing/
3. Intellinews: Former Russian president Medvedev offers the US an olive branch in opinion piece on the Cuban missile crisis.
4. Intellinews: Ben Aris, Strategy vs tactics, Putin’s fiscal fortress is ready. For well over a decade Russian President Vladimir Putin has been preparing for the current showdown with the US. He has created a fiscal fortress that makes Russia largely impervious to economic attack and now it is ready the Kremlin has taken a much harder line with the West.
5. rt.com: Russia’s Communists warn comrades against ‘flirting’ with Navalny, but won’t expel members who sympathize with opposition figure – rt.com/russia/522123-communists-warning-navalny-opposition/
6. TASS: Germany’s top diplomat backs Nord Stream 2, highlights project’s relevance – tass.com/economy/1283169
7. Russia in Global Affairs: TURNING TO NATURE: RUSSIA’S NEW ENVIRONMENTAL POLICY IN “GREEN” TRANSFORMATION OF THE GLOBAL ECONOMY AND POLITICS – eng.globalaffairs.ru/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/report_turning-to-nature.pdf
8. rt.com: Moscow prosecutors order suspension of jailed Alexey Navalny’s political operations ahead of possible ‘extremism’ court ruling – rt.com/russia/522133-navalny-political-operations-suspension/
9. TASS: Moscow City Court denies decision to suspend activity of Anti-Corruption Foundation – tass.com/society/1283073
10. Vedomosti: Russian editorial criticises opposition protests for being too ‘leader-centric’
11. Washington Post: Russian court suspends Navalny’s political headquarters while it considers banning his organizations.
12. Financial Times: Navalny supporters face full force of Kremlin wrath. Aggressive intimidation tactics and court move suggest bid to silence opposition leader for good.
13. The American Conservative: Douglas Macgregor, The Ukraine Crisis Can Be An Opportunity. President Biden can bring stability to U.S.-Russian relations if he doesn’t make the usual mistakes.
14. Financial Times: Ukrainian leader calls for revamp of peace process to end Donbas war. Zelensky pushes for bigger diplomatic role for US, UK and Canada in ending the conflict.
15. rt.com: MI6 head reveals that Russophrenia-stricken UK defense chiefs think Russia is both a ‘declining power’ AND their number one rival – rt.com/russia/522147-mi6-head-russia-declining-power/
16. The Sunday Times (UK): MI6’s ‘C’: We warned Putin what would happen if he invaded Ukraine. The newly appointed intelligence chief says reckless Russia is in decline and China’s climate change claims need monitoring.
17. TASS: Kommersant: Biden enters fray for influence in Caucasus by recognizing Armenian genocide.
18. The Unz Review: Israel Shamir, Uncharted Waters – unz.com/ishamir/uncharted-waters/
19. TASS: EU should investigate what happened at Vrbetice warehouses, Lavrov says – tass.com/politics/1283173
20. Intellinews: Czech President Milos Zeman casts doubt on Russian involvement in arms depot explosion.
21. TASS: Kremlin says Russian special services have proofs of plot against Lukashenko – tass.com/politics/1283079
22. Russian International Affairs Council: Zhao Huasheng, The “Non-Deep” Causes of the Disintegration of the Soviet Union – russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/the-non-deep-causes-of-the-disintegration-of-the-soviet-union/
23. The National Interest: Robert Kaplan, Kennan’s Containment Strategy: A Consensus on What Not to Do. American foreign policy elites have adopted a partial myth about containment in order to worship at the altar of grand strategy before declaring that such a sweeping approach is no longer possible. Both propositions are false and are driven partially by nostalgia. (Excerpt)
24. Russia Beyond: Why you should read ‘In Memory of Memory’ by Maria Stepanova – rbth.com/arts/333707-maria-stepanova-memory-memory