RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2021-#84 :: Tuesday, 20 April 2021
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2021-#84 :: Tuesday, 20 April 2021
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. TASS: Amid the pandemic: To what extent Putin’s 2020 message to parliament has materialized – tass.com/politics/1280301
2. rt.com: Fyodor Lukyanov, Putin & Biden summit will delight media, but it won’t change anything… relations between Russia & US are being slowly dismantled. – rt.com/russia/521564-biden-putin-summit-pr-stance/
3. Russian International Affairs Council: Andrey Kortunov, Only Now Do We See the Real Disintegration of the USSR. – russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/interview/only-now-do-we-see-the-real-disintegration-of-the-ussr/
4. The Real News Network: PUTIN, NAVALNY, AND THE LEFT: THE COMING POLITICAL CRISIS IN RUSSIA. From Alexei Navalny’s return to mass protests and COVID-19, new TRNN contributor Radhika Desai sits down with world-renowned sociologist and activist Boris Kagarlitsky to discuss the tectonic shifts taking place in Russian politics—and what Western media gets wrong about Russia. (Excerpt) – therealnews.com/putin-navalny-and-the-left-the-coming-political-crisis-in-russia
5. Wall Street Journal: In Putin’s Standoff With Navalny, Many Russians Put Faith in President. Even as Navalny stirs dissent over Putin’s long rule, the president can count on a bedrock of support.
6. Intellinews: Team Navalny pulls the trigger on the next big demonstration scheduled for April 21.
7. Meduza: Provocative calls from abroad. The Kremlin’s spokesman comments on Navalny’s hunger strike and the planned opposition protests.
8. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Crimea & Donbass Tell Navalny to BTFO – unz.com/akarlin/crimea-donbass-tell-navalny-to-btfo/
9. rt.com: Russia’s answer to US sanctions is to make its economy more self-sufficient – analysts – rt.com/business/521547-us-sanctions-russia-response/
10. TASS: US calls Russia’s plans to restrict navigation in Black Sea ‘unprovoked escalation’ – tass.com/world/1280157
11. RIA Novosti: Andrei Kots, What begins at Russian borders is Nato handiwork.
12. Washington Times: Edward Lozansky, How to Avoid World War III.
14. Intellinews: Ben Aris, Will Belarus merge with Russia this week?
15. Valdai Discussion Club: Andrey Sushentsov, Ukrainian Crisis Forever? – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/ukrainian-crisis-forever/
16. TASS: Izvestia: What lies behind the Czech Republic’s standoff with Russia.
17. TASS: Czech minister’s statement proves Prague’s claims against Moscow are bogus, says diplomat – tass.com/politics/1279959
18. rt.com: Paul Robinson, New York Times ‘bounties’ non-story shows US/UK media has got so used to blaming Russia, it’s basically now doing it out of habit – rt.com/russia/521500-afghanistan-bounties-nyt-fake/
19. TASS: Kommersant: Black Sea may become another battleground for Russia and the West.
20. www.craigmurray.org.uk: Craig Murray, Pure: Ten Points I Just Can’t Believe About the Official Skripal Narrative – craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2021/04/pure-ten-points-i-just-cant-believe-about-the-official-skripal-narrative/
21. Responsible Statecraft: Anatol Lieven, Rojansky smear hails the new McCarthyism in Washington.
22. Lawfare (Brookings): Dominic Cruz Bustillos and Alexander Vindman, It is Time to Stop Looking for a Reset with Russia – lawfareblog.com/it-time-stop-looking-reset-russia