RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2021-#75 :: Friday, 9 April 2021
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2021-#75 :: Friday, 9 April 2021
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Russia Beyond: How does Putin stay in such good shape? – rbth.com/lifestyle/333641-how-does-putin-stay-in-good-shape
2. Intellinews: Ben Aris, It’s time for a new pan-European security treaty. Five years ago I wrote an opinion piece calling for a new pan-European security deal because it seemed that Europe was on the brink of war with Russia. Five years on and little has changed and war once again seems like a real possibility.
3. The American Conservative: Doug Bandow, War Clouds Over Russia And Ukraine? Ask Brussels. The U.S. needs to accept NATO membership for Ukraine is not worth war with Russia.
4. Asia Times: Pepe Escobar, Russia ‘would really not want’ Cold War 2.0. The Triple Yoda, Nikolai Patrushev, hopes cooler heads can avoid sanctions such as the SWIFT ‘nuclear option’
5. rt.com: As reforms continue, Russia’s prison population drops by 38% in a decade; per-capita incarceration rate now only half that of U.S. – rt.com/russia/520567-prison-population-rate-percentage/
6. Al Jazeera: Georgina McCartney, What do Russians really think of Putin and Navalny? Young Russians explain which politician they think is better for the country – or why neither of them may be.
7 . TASS: Moscow slams ‘fairy tales’ about Navalny’s custody, tells US to not violate rights at home – tass.com/politics/1276115
8. The Economist: House of the dead. Does the Kremlin want Alexei Navalny to die in prison? It is beginning to look like it.
10. TASS: Izvestia: Washington’s crusade to undermine Nord Stream 2 proving to be futile
11. Wall Street Journal: Oleksii Reznikov, Reject Nord Stream 2 Once and for All. The pipeline puts Ukraine’s national security at serious risk.
12. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, HOW RUSSIA VIEWS THE UK, SUPPOSEDLY – irrussianality.wordpress.com/2021/04/08/how-russia-views-the-uk-supposedly/
13. AFP: Russian court orders tighter laws to stem domestic violence
14. The New York Review of Books: Sophie Pinkham, No More Mother-Saviors. Recent collections of poetry by Russian women offer a glimpse of how perceptions of feminism are changing in post-communist Slavic countries. (Excerpt)
15. Interfax: Kremlin pledges to protect Donbas population if hostilities resume and ‘Srebrenica-type catastrophe potentially repeats itself’
16. AP: Kremlin says it fears full-scale fighting in Ukraine’s east.
17. rt.com: Full-scale Ukrainian war would threaten Russian security Kremlin warns, pledging action to prevent ‘humanitarian catastrophe’ – rt.com/russia/520574-ukrainian-war-humanitarian-catastrophe/
18. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Russia strengthens border amid escalating tensions in Donbass.
19. Washington Post editorial: Putin again threatens war with Ukraine. The West must be ready to respond.
20. Meduza: Ukraine says it will no longer visit Minsk for peace talks. Is this another sign of future conflict?
21. Moscow Times: U.S. to Send 2 Warships to Black Sea Amid Russia-Ukraine Tension, Turkey Says.
22. Counterpunch: Gary Leupp, Zelensky: NATO to stop Donbas War – counterpunch.org/2021/04/09/zelensky-nato-to-stop-donbas-war/
23. strategic-culture.org editorial: NATO Ending War in Ukraine Like Arsonist Putting Out Fire – strategic-culture.org/news/2021/04/09/nato-ending-war-in-ukraine-like-arsonist-putting-out-fire/
24. Newsweek: Daniel DePetris, U.S. Should Sidestep Ukraine-Russia Conflict