RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2021-#71 :: Monday, 5 April 2021
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2021-#71 :: Monday, 5 April 2021
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. TASS: Putin to deliver state-of-the-nation address in person, Kremlin says.
2. Russia Beyond: How the coronavirus-hit year changed the life of Russians – rbth.com/lifestyle/333619-coronavirus-russia-one-year
3. rt.com: Makers of Sputnik V vaccine warn EU delaying approval over fear of competition, as Russia sees ‘dramatic rise’ in domestic demand – rt.com/russia/520129-eu-delaying-sputnik-v-approval/
4. The Bell: The Sputnik paradox. How Russia ended up with an effective vaccine no-one wants – thebell.io/en/5320-2
5. The Spectator (UK): Mary Dejevsky, Could the Sputnik vaccine end Russia’s rift with the West?
6. rt.com: 48% of Russians support opposition figure Alexey Navalny’s 2.5-year jail sentence, just 29% say it was unfair, new poll reveals – rt.com/russia/520143-navalny-jail-support-poll/
7. Financial Times: Russia flexes its ‘sovereign internet’ with move to curb Twitter. Parallel web is designed to give Moscow more control and reduce reliance on foreign tech.
8. Bloomberg: Russia Drops Threat to Block Twitter After Content Removed.
9. TASS: Accounts Chamber head considers it possible to reduce poverty level in Russia before 2030 – tass.com/economy/1274075
10. TASS: Izvestia: Ruble’s exchange rate may become more realistic.
11. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, INSTITUTIONALIZING THE WEST – irrussianality.wordpress.com/2021/04/04/institutionalizing-the-west/
12. Center for a New American Security (CNAS): Jim Townsend and Andrea Kendall-Taylor, Partners, Competitors, or a Little of Both? Russia and China in the Arctic. [Click here for PDF of full report]
13. Space News: New reports highlight Russian, Chinese advances in space weapons.
14. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Ukraine continues military build-up in Donbass.
15. Interfax-Ukraine: Ukraine hopes for U.S. participation in de-occupation of Donbas, Crimea – Kuleba – en.interfax.com.ua/news/general/734890.html
16. Facebook: Fred Weir, Russian armor on the roads.
17. rt.com: Paul Robinson, Reports of Russian troops ‘massing’ near Ukraine miss the mark: Russia-Ukraine war is possible, but only if Ukraine strikes first – rt.com/russia/520127-ukraine-donbass-open-war/
18. Washington Post: David Ignatius, How Russia’s military activity near Ukraine is poised to test the Biden administration.
19. Antiwar.com: Rick Rozoff, Peace Prospects Dim as Ukraine Tries To Drag US, NATO Into Its Confrontation With Russia – news.antiwar.com/2021/04/04/peace-prospects-dim-as-ukraine-tries-to-drag-us-nato-into-its-confrontation-with-russia/
20. RFE/RL: Ukraine Assured Of EU’s ‘Unwavering’ Support.
21. Global Review: INTERVIEW WITH DR. ALEXANDER RAHR: “I DON’T SEE ANY RUSSIAN PLANS TO RECONQUER UKRAINE, AS THE RED ARMY DID 100 YEARS AGO” – global-review.info/2021/04/05/interview-with-dr-alexander-rahr-i-dont-see-any-russian-plans-to-reconquer-ukraine-as-the-red-army-did-100-years-ago/
22. Moon of Alabama: How Russia ‘Weaponized’ 111 Times – moonofalabama.org/2021/04/how-russia-weaponized-111-times.html#more