RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2021-#36 :: Thursday, 18 February 2021
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2021-#36 :: Thursday, 18 February 2021
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with State Duma party faction leaders. (Transcript continued) – en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/65013
2. TASS: IT exceptionalism? Putin calls out Big Tech’s ‘ideological divide’, widespread censorship – tass.com/politics/1257699
3. Foreign Affairs: Anna Arutunyan, Russia Will Never See the United States the Same Way Again. After Trump, Washington Must Work Through Allies to Influence Moscow.
4. Carnegie Moscow Center: Dmitri Trenin, Russia and Europe: the Current Impasse and the Way Out. Russia and the European Union need to imagine a more realistic goal for their relationship: a model of neighborliness, in which the inevitable disagreements will be managed in order to prevent disruptive conflicts and damaging collisions. – carnegie.ru/commentary/83905
5. Moscow Times: Russia Has One of the World’s Highest Excess Death Rates. Why Aren’t Russians Angrier? Surging coronavirus fatalities have played little or no role in a recent wave of protest. (“A Russian tendency to place less value on human life than people in more developed countries may also play a role in the tendency to accept large numbers of Covid-19 fatalities.”)
6. TASS: Media: Russia won’t cave to ECHR’s demand to release Navalny – tass.com/pressreview/1257867
7. Carnegie Moscow Center: Alexander Baunov, Why the Kremlin’s Anti-Navalny Strategy Just Might Work. When the government shows that it’s prepared to use violence against peaceful protesters and to lock them up for extended periods, it plays on a preexisting mindset that perhaps protesting won’t lead to any actual changes in society.
8. Kommerstant: Alexei Navalny was equated with the Nazis. The prosecutor’s office asks to check whether the politician has offended her and the court. – kommersant.ru/doc/4693559?
9. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, RUSSIA’S BIG PHARMA IS A PRIVATE BUSINESS FED BY THE STATE, AND THIS IS HOW THE FEEDING WORKS. (excerpt) – johnhelmer.net/russias-big-pharma-is-a-private-business-fed-by-the-state-and-this-is-how-the-feeding-works/print/
10. rt.com: Investment guru Jim Rogers bullish on Russia thanks to ‘lots of oil & agriculture’ – rt.com/business/515818-russia-oil-agriculture-investment/
11. Intellinews: EU imports of Russian gas surge in January, despite objections to Nord Stream 2
12. Valdai Discussion Club: Timofei Bordachev, Double Standards Are Not Enough: The Impossibility of Morality in a Multipolar World – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/double-standards-are-not-enough/
13. TASS: Kommersant: NATO allies to plot new scheme for containing Russia.
15. Interfax: Russian experts Sergei Rogov, Viktoria Zhuravleva: U.S. foreign policy determined by domestic problems.
16. Russia Matters: Paul Saunders, Biden’s Russia Policy Will Be Shaped by His Priorities, Not Just His People.
17. Asia Times: M.K. Bhadrakumar, Biden has adult conversations with China, Russia on Iran If the US can work with China and Russia to resolve the Iran nuclear issue, what else can be achieved? – asiatimes.com/2021/02/biden-has-adult-conversations-with-china-russia-on-iran/
18. rt.com: Western countries imposing sanctions on Nord Stream 2 want to make Russia pay for ‘geopolitical project’ in Ukraine, Putin says – rt.com/russia/515842-putin-western-sanctions-ukraine/
19. rt.com: With Crimean reservoirs running low, Ukraine vows to complete dam on canal which once provided almost 85% of the peninsula’s water – rt.com/russia/515924-ukraine-dam-crimea-water/
20. Antiwar.com: Ted Galen Carpenter, Washington’s Foreign ‘Democratic’ Clients Become an Embarrassment Again – original.antiwar.com/Ted_Galen_Carpenter/2021/02/17/washingtons-foreign-democratic-clients-become-an-embarrassment-again/
21. TASS: Current Ukrainian government can’t objectively investigate Maidan events, expert says.
22. Atlantic Council: Peter Dickinson, Putin the Poisoner