RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2021-#35 :: Wednesday, 17 February 2021
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2021-#35 :: Wednesday, 17 February 2021
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. TASS: Russia will not tolerate attacks on its sovereignty, Putin warns.
2. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with State Duma party faction leaders – en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/65013
3. Christian Science Monitor: Fred Weir, Kremlin labels some Russians ‘foreign agents.’ What happens to them? The Kremlin has spent almost a decade labeling civil society groups as “foreign agents,” and is now applying it to individuals. Do activists find that they have been hampered by the stigma?
4. RFE/RL: Russian Duma OKs Bill To Fine Violators Of Controversial ‘Foreign Agents’ Law.
5. Moscow Times: Konstantin Sonin, Sputnik V Vaccine Gives Russia a Whopping Soft-Power Boost. After the 2018 Fifa World Cup, Russia has found a new way to promote the country.
6. Financial Times: Russia’s Covid vaccine faces global production hurdles. Moscow has entrusted future of Sputnik V jab to sprawling network of private companies around world.
7. AP: Estonia report: Russia bets on COVID-19 weakening the West.
8. Intellinews: Navalny back in court on charges of slandering a WWII veteran.
9. TASS: Izvestia: Navalny may face hefty fine for insulting war veteran.
10. rt.com: In rebuke to anti-migrant figures like Navalny, Putin slams ‘caveman nationalism’ & use of slogans like ‘Russia for the Russians’ – rt.com/russia/515821-putin-slam-caveman-nationalism/
11. Komsomolskaya Pravda: From Politician to Standup Comedian: How Navalny Squandered All His Political Weight in Court. Our columnist Alexander Kots discusses the hearings on the blogger’s defamation of a veteran.
12. Paul Goble: Navalny has Won First Round with Putin who’ll Find It Hard to Recover, Nikolay Petrov Says.
13. rt.com: Moscow police conduct more than 100 probes into actions of riot officers at pro-Navalny rallies to determine possible wrongdoing – rt.com/russia/515835-police-probes-officers-navalny-protests/
14. Meduza: The Russian political system’s real test this fall. (Tatiana Stanovaya) – forbes.ru/obshchestvo/421173-oshibka-scenariya-pochemu-dumskaya-kampaniya-2021-goda-ne-budet-spokoynoy
15. Riddle: Nick Trickett, Russia’s austerity politics point to a rocky year ahead – ridl.io/en/russia-s-austerity-politics-point-to-a-rocky-year-ahead/
16. Meduza: The next wave. The West is preparing a new round of sanctions against Russia, but who really pays, and what’s the point, in the end?
17. The Scrum: “The Forgotten War.” Q & Aing with Ambassador John Evans – thescrum.substack.com/p/the-forgotten-war
18. Russian International Affairs Council: Igor Ivanov, Why Is Europe Hostile Towards Russia? – russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/why-is-europe-hostile-towards-russia/
19. Asia Times: Pepe Escobar, Russia holds the key to German sovereignty. A more sovereign Germany closer to Russia and China may be the straw that breaks the US hegemon’s back.
20. Gov.uk: Guidance. Overseas Business Risk – Russia. (excerpt)
21. Valdai Discussion Club: Paul Saunders, America’s Evolving Approach to Great Power Competition – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/america-s-evolving-approach-to-great-power/
22. TASS: Kommersant: Astana Syrian peace talks resume in Sochi.
23. Foreign Policy: Salvatore Babones, America’s India Problem Is All About Russia. Forget U.S. sanctions over arms deals. Indian-Russian alignment is in Washington’s best interest.
24. The National Interest: Andrew Latham, Great Power Rivalry in the Arctic Circle is Heating Up. Great power rivalry has come to the Arctic and there’s telling where it will lead.