RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2021-#26 :: Friday, 5 February 2021
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2021-#26 :: Friday, 5 February 2021
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. rt.com: Most Russians could be vaccinated against Covid-19 by summer, as Sputnik V creator reveals doses can be kept unfrozen for 2 months – rt.com/russia/514689-covid-vaccination-sputnik-summer/
2. New York Times: Achal Prabhala and Chee Yoke Ling, It’s Time to Trust China’s and Russia’s Vaccines. They, too, work, and they can help fill shortages everywhere.
3. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, LATEST POLL UNDERMINES CLAIMS OF RISING DISSATISFACTION IN RUSSIA. [Text with charts irrussianality.wordpress.com/2021/02/04/latest-poll-undermines-claims-of-rising-dissatisfaction-in-russia/] [DJ: See also unz.com/akarlin/dont-waste-time-on-hacks-look-at-numbers/]
4. The National Interest: Russian Protests and American Interests. Alexei Navalny’s arrest is threatening to put the Russian government on a collision course with a reinvigorated protest movement at home and with the United States abroad. Jill Dougherty, Robert Legvold, and Konstantin Remchukov discuss these questions and more in a panel moderated by George Beebe.
5. rt.com: Putin’s approval rating drops slightly to 64%, while Navalny overtakes Communist Party leader in new Russian opinion poll – rt.com/russia/514629-popularity-poll-putin-navalny/
6. rt.com: Navalny allies decide to pause protests in Russia after momentum stalls amid smaller turnout last weekend & police crackdown – rt.com/russia/514693-protests-pause-navalny-police/
7. Interfax: Presidential Council for Human Rights members call against using riot control weapons, for probing cases of excess of police authority.
8. Meduza: ‘This is the road to dictatorship’. Here’s what some of Russia’s top experts expect in the aftermath of Alexey Navalny’s imprisonment.
9. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Minor party to help maintain pro-Putin majority.
10. No Yardstick: András Tóth-Czifra, The plague year of the regions – noyardstick.com/?p=853#more-853
11. Intellinews: Ben Aris, Russian government launches a National Projects 2.0 revamp. Russia’s 12 national projects that are designed to return prosperity to the country have been given a make-over in the hope of faster progress.
12. Intellinews: U.S. open to easing Nord Stream 2 sanctions
13. RFE/RL: Biden Says ‘America Is Back’ As He Strikes New Tone In U.S. Foreign Policy
14. Politico: Thomas Graham and Robert Legvold, It’s Better to Deal with China and Russia in Tandem. Putting China and Russia into policy silos will be counterproductive.
15. Washington Times: Lyle Goldstein, A deteriorating U.S.-Russia relationship is dangerous. Biden should rein in tensions. Mixing Russia’s domestic political issues with cyber complications creates a perfect storm.
16. Carnegie Moscow Center: Andrey Baklitskiy, A New Start for Arms Control? Extending the New START is only the first and easiest step in rebuilding the U.S.–Russian arms control system from its ruins.
17. Valdai Discussion Club: New START and the Prospects for Weapons Limitation in Russian-American Relations. Now that the New START Treaty is extended, the parties need to make efforts to work out a realistic new agreement that takes into account as many of the parties’ concerns as possible, but it should not set impossible tasks as a precondition, writes Valdai Club expert Evgeny Buzhinsky. Lieutenant-General (Retired), Ph.D. Military Sciences. – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/start-iii-and-the-prospects-for-weapons-limitation/
18. American Committee on US-Russia Accord: Symposium: Which Way Forward For US-Russia Relations? The Board Members of the American Committee for US-Russia Accord have come together to lend their insights and suggestions as to how we might find a peaceful and productive way forward for the US-Russia relationship. – usrussiaaccord.com/the-american-committee-for-us-russia-accord-symposium-which-way-forward-for-the-us-russian-relationship/
19. Russia Matters: Victoria Nuland on Russia
20. Facebook: Anton Shekhovtsov, Attack on Navalny.
21. TASS: Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Zelensky’s shutdown of opposition TV channels unlikely to trigger unrest.
22. Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Press release on Russian-German contacts on the “Alexey Navalny case” -mid.ru/foreign_policy/news/-/asset_publisher/cKNonkJE02Bw/content/id/4546417