RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2021-#23 :: Monday, 1 February 2021
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2021-#23 :: Monday, 1 February 2021
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Sarah Lindemann-Komarova: Protests in the Russian Regions: Take Two.
2. rt.com: Paul Robinson,Is Russia a ‘dying bear?’ After large population fall during 2020, demographic situation is worrying for Moscow, but not desperate – rt.com/russia/514186-demographic-situation-worrying-moscow/
3. Paul Goble: Russian Population Falls by 510,000 in 2020 and Not Just Because of Pandemic.
4. Paul Goble: Pandemic Death Toll in Russia Passes 70,000 But Daily Deaths Fall and More Regions Stabilize.
5. Intellinews: Ben Aris, Russian police detained a record 5,135 demonstrators at the second Navalny mass protests. Thousands took the streets in a second mass protest organised by opposition activist Alexey Navalny from his jail cell. The authorities shut the centres of most of Russia’s major cities in response.
6. TASS: Izvestia: Unauthorized protests continue in Russia, drawing fewer crowds.
7. rt.com: Ahead of scheduled court appearance, Russian prosecutors back prison term for opposition figure Navalny over probation violations – rt.com/russia/514222-navalny-probation-case-prosecution/
8. New York Times: Russia’s Economic Slump Erodes Consensus That Shielded Putin. The rally-around-the-flag effect of President Vladimir V. Putin’s assertive foreign policy known as the Crimea consensus is unraveling with the economy.
9. Intellinews: Mark Galeotti, Vpered KoZa! Can Navalny mobilise the Coalition of the Fed Up?
10. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, HOLD THE FRENCH FRIES, MAKE THAT RUSSIAN FRIES – POTATOES AND THE SEPTEMBER RUSSIAN ELECTION – johnhelmer.net/hold-the-french-fries-make-that-russian-fries-potatoes-and-the-september-russian-election/print/
11. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, PUTIN IS DOOMED – irrussianality.wordpress.com/2021/01/31/putin-is-doomed/
12. Moscow Times: Felix Light and Pjotr Sauer, True Beliefs and Opportunism: Navalny’s Tangled Political Development.
13. Moon of Alabama: Navalny Scam Sells Empty Concrete Shell As ‘Putin’s Luxurious Palace’ – moonofalabama.org/2021/01/navalny-scam-sells-empty-concrete-shell-as-putins-luxurious-palace.html#more
15. TASS: Medvedev said 2020 was a special year of strenuous efforts – tass.com/politics/1251179
16. rt.com: Russia has plan to cut off country from ‘US-controlled’ global internet, but only as ‘last resort,’ says former President Medvedev – rt.com/russia/514236-cut-internet-last-resort/
17. Oilprice.com: Russia Expects Oil Between $45 And $80 By 2035.
18. Moscow Times: Gazprom Sets Record High Gas Exports to Europe
19. TASS: Russia may file lawsuit over hindrances to Nord Stream 2, Medvedev says.
20. The Cipher Brief: Walter Pincus, A New Tone for Avril Haines’ Intelligence Community – thecipherbrief.com/column/fine-print/a-new-tone-for-avril-haines-intelligence-community
21. Interfax: Covid-19 vaccination using Russia’s Sputnik V vaccine starts in DPR and LPR.
22. Awful Avalanche: Donbass Seeks Path To Reintegration With Russia – Part I – awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2021/01/30/donbass-seeks-path-to-reintegration-with-russia-part-i/
23. Awful Avalanche: Donbass Seeks Path To Reintegration With Russia – Part II – awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2021/01/31/donbass-seeks-path-to-reintegration-with-russia-part-ii/
24. rt.com: Gabriel Gavin, Ukraine’s purge of its past ties to Moscow picks up pace as waiters face fines for saying ‘thank you’ in Russian – rt.com/russia/514176-ukraine-purge-past-nationalism/