RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2021-#195 :: Tuesday, 5 October 2021
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2021-#195 :: Tuesday, 5 October 2021
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. The Economist: The future of American power. Dmitri Trenin on Russia’s interests in the new global order. America’s unipolar moment is over. It must carefully manage relations with China and Russia, says a Russian military-political analyst.
2. rt.com: Paul Robinson, Pandora Papers: Every US state-funded exposé on the lavish lives of elites is about Russia & Putin, even when he’s not mentioned – rt.com/russia/536626-pandora-papers-us-russia-putin/
3. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Why Putin’s Money Eludes Offshore Investigators. The Pandora Papers’ findings suggest that Russian kleptocrats are relying less on the West as a financial haven.
4. rt.com: Russian Communist leader warns Putin that police ‘brutality’ & controversial online voting are ‘bomb’ waiting to ‘blow up’ society – rt.com/russia/536603-zyuganov-communists-detentions-putin-letter/
5. The Barents Observer (Norway): Political infighting reverberates through Russia’s Arctic capital.
6. Moscow Times: Anna Arutunyan, Despite Repression and Covid, Russia Can Look to the Future. A vibrant new compilation of essays, art and fiction presents visions of what lies ahead.
7. Bloomberg: How Putin’s Advisers Convinced Him to Take Climate Risks Seriously. The Kremlin may unveil a new approach to coordinate with Europe on emissions at the COP26 summit.
8. AFP: Nord Stream 2 operator begins filling controversial pipeline.
9. Moscow Times: Massive Video Leak Shows Rampant Torture at Russian Prisons – NGO.
10. rt.com: Kit Klarenberg, Could the CIA be behind the leak of the Pandora Papers, given their curious lack of focus on US nationals? – rt.com/op-ed/536539-cia-leak-pandora-papers/
11. Moon of Alabama: U.S. Government Provides Another Trove Of Offshore Papers Of People It Dislikes – moonofalabama.org/2021/10/us-government-provides-another-trove-of-offshore-papers-of-people-it-dislikes.html#more
13. TASS: Diplomat slams Big Tech’s global outage flop, calls for Russia to build up own Internet – tass.com/economy/1345861
14. Russia Matters: Russia Analytical Report, Sept. 27-Oct. 4, 2021. This Week’s Highlights.
15. Responsible Statecraft: Kelley Beaucar Vlahos, Lithuania wants to be the new Eastern outpost for US empire. Like their ancient Roman counterparts, U.S. legions supplement regional security, and so the footprint grows. – responsiblestatecraft.org/2021/10/04/lithuania-wants-to-be-the-new-eastern-outpost-for-us-empire/
16. The National Interest: David Pyne, America Cannot Take On China And Russia Simultaneously. U.S. concerns about the risks of fighting a coming war with Russia and China are well-grounded, given it is unprepared to fight even a purely conventional war with them.
17. businessinsider.com: Fiona Hill, former Russia advisor to Trump and a staunch critic, dismisses the idea that Putin has compromising material on him.
18. bradfordera.com: Susan Shelley, The Trump-Russia smear altered America’s direction.
19. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, BELTON’S PEOPLE — FBI INVESTIGATION CASTS NEW SHADOW OVER CATHERINE BELTON’S BOOK IN COURT. (excerpt) – johnhelmer.net/beltons-people-fbi-investigation-casts-new-shadow-over-catherine-beltons-book-in-court/print/
20. Ottawa Citizen (Canada): Far-right extremists in Ukraine brag they have received training from the Canadian Forces: report. The study from an institute at George Washington University in Washington, D.C., tracked social media accounts of the far-right group Centuria, documenting its Ukrainian military members giving Nazi salutes, promoting white nationalism and praising members of Nazi SS units.
21. Worldcrunch: Zelensky’s Ukraine, Where The Pandora Papers Hit Hardest. The global probe of offshore accounts around the world strike at the heart of Kiev’s current government and power structure of a ruling class that rose to power on the promise of fighting corruption, including the television-star-turned-President Volodymyr Zelensky.
22. The Calvert Journal: Dancing for Stalin: the harrowing story of a ballerina who survived the gulag.