RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2021-#18 :: Tuesday, 26 January 2021
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2021-#18 :: Tuesday, 26 January 2021
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Twitter: Richard Haass, Nobel Peace Prize for Navalny.
2. Washington Examiner: Janusz Bugalski, Biden must prepare for an imploding Russia.
3. Meduza: ‘This isn’t how politics is done’ Putin compares opposition protests in Russia to the storming of the U.S. Capitol.
4. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with university students to mark Russian Students Day – kremlin.ru/events/president/news/64922
5. TASS: Putin’s speech at Davos week to be comprehensive and interesting, Kremlin promises – tass.com/society/1248897
6. TASS: Kremlin notes unprecedented level of violence among participants of January 23 protests.
7. TASS: Kommersant: Kremlin shrugs off unauthorized rallies as politically insignificant.
8. rt.com: Court date for jailed opposition figure Alexey Navalny brought forward to Thursday as allies call for another weekend of protests – rt.com/russia/513670-court-navalny-weekend-protests/
9. Wall Street Journal: Navalny Protests Threaten to Snowball as Grievances Grow in Russia. Weekend rallies across Russia were driven by anger over falling living standards and worsening repression.
10. rt.com: West using Navalny to destabilize Russia by creating social upheaval & encouraging unrest, says Russian security chief Patrushev – rt.com/russia/513643-patrushev-navalny-west-intelligence-puppet/
11. Washington Post editorial: Russians just revealed Vladimir Putin’s weakness.
12. Financial Times editorial: Alexei Navalny and his supporters deserve western support.
13. The Times (UK) editorial: The Times view on protests against Putin: Russian Revolt. The West needs a strategy to tackle a country tired of corrupt leaders.
14. The New Yorker: Masha Gessen, Putin’s Unchanging, Unthinking Response to Alexey Navalny
15. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, OLIGARCHY IN RUSSIA – ALEXEI NAVALNY’S TELLING MISTAKE – johnhelmer.net/oligarchy-in-russia-alexei-navalnys-telling-mistake/print/
16. Interfax: Russia reports 18,241 new Covid-19 cases in past 24 hours, lowest amount since end of Oct – HQ.
17. Meduza: An exceedingly ambitious undertaking . Meduza’s readers describe the successes and failures of Russia’s COVID-19 vaccine rollout.
18. TASS: Kremlin: Divulging businessmen’s names who own Black Sea ‘palace’ would be ‘inappropriate’
19. Tzargrad: The secret of “Putin’s palace”. What did Navalny’s craftsmen dare tell? (excerpt) – tsargrad-tv.turbopages.org/tsargrad.tv/s/articles/tajna-dvorca-putina-chto-ne-posmeli-rasskazat-umelcy-navalnogo_315838
20. rt.com: IMF improves forecast for Russia’s economic growth this year.
21. TASS: Problems in Russian-US ties cannot derail New START’s extension, Biden says.
22. Bloomberg: Vaccine Is Now a Weapon in Ukraine’s Conflict With Russia. Ukraine hasn’t started an inoculation program yet, while eastern regions allied with Moscow appear closer to getting shots.