RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2021-#135 :: Monday, 5 July 2021
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2021-#135 :: Monday, 5 July 2021
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Moscow Times: Majority of Russians Still Not Ready for Covid-19 Vaccination – Poll
2. rt.com: ‘Everyone must be vaccinated and re-vaccinated’: Russia’s re-inoculation drive essential for stopping Covid-19, experts tell RT – rt.com/russia/528406-inoculation-essential-covid-experts/
3. TASS: Izvestia: Experts discuss COVID-19 situation in Russia.
4. Wall Street Journal: Moscow Tightens the Clamp on Russia’s Millions of Covid-19 Vaccine Holdouts. Authorities try to reboot flailing Covid-19 vaccine campaign as Delta variant causes surge in cases.
5. Valdai Discussion Club: Andrey Sushentsov, Seeds of Trust. Why the Results of the Russian-American Summit Exceeded Expectations. – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/seeds-of-trust-russian-american-summit/
6. Levada.ru: Approval of Russian government drops, Putin ratings unchanged – poll.
7. Paul Goble: Moscow City’s Pothole Management Portal Benefits Residents and Regime, Sharafutdinova Says
8. AP: Putin OKs revised Russian national security strategy
9. Moscow Times: Mark Galeotti, New National Security Strategy Is a Paranoid’s Charter. Russia’s new National Strategy regards not just foreign countries as a threat, but the very processes reshaping the modern world.
10. The Print (India): Russia unveils new security strategy that aims to balance ties with India, China
11. Rossiiskaya Gazeta: Sergei Karaganov, A Chance Not To Be Missed. We must admit the obvious: a new Cold War is unfolding, and Russia should think about how to get out of it as a winner – rg.ru/2021/06/25/karaganov-rossii-nado-dumat-kak-pobedit-v-holodnoj-vojne.html
14. Indian Punchline: M.K. Bhadrakumar, Anglo-American tripwire traps Russian bear
15. Moscow Times: Russian Warships to Reinforce Black Sea Forces Amid U.S.-Led Drills
16. RUSI: Jonathan Eyal, France, Germany and the ‘Russia Engagement’ Game. Despite the failure of their initial proposals to engage in a summit with Russia, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Emmanuel Macron are still promoting the idea. Far from leading to a productive dialogue with Russia, the Franco-German proposal will only continue to divide the EU and NATO.
17. TASS: Kommersant: What awaits Afghanistan and its neighbors after US troop pullout
18. Eursasianet.org: Russia frets about ISIS in Afghanistan, Central Asia looks sanguine. As the Taliban advances inside Afghanistan, Moscow talks up the threat from Islamic State.
19. Asia Times: Myanmar opens a strategic gateway for Moscow. Asia Times’ correspondent Bertil Lintner explains why Russia has warmly embraced Myanmar’s military coup makers.
20. TASS: Moscow does not consider Ukrainian authorities Nazis — Kremlin – tass.com/politics/1310591
21. Bloomberg: Biden Says ‘Not Sure’ If Russia Is Behind Latest Cyberattack
22. TASS: Kremlin says no US inquiries received over hacker attack on IT software company – tass.com/politics/1310621