RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2021-#133 :: Thursday, 1 July 2021
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2021-#133 :: Thursday, 1 July 2021
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. rt.com: Global warming is hitting Russia faster than most countries & government must be prepared for serious consequences, says Putin – rt.com/russia/528002-global-warming-consequences-putin/
2. Moscow Times: Skepticism to Acceptance: How Putin’s Views on Climate Change Evolved Over the Years.
3. Valdai Discussion Club: Andrey Gubin, Were Shots Fired? Similarities and Differences Between the Situation in the South China Sea and the Incident off the Russian Cape Fiolent – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/were-shots-fired-similarities-and-differences/
4. Carnegie Endowment for International Peace: Grand Illusions: The Impact of Misperceptions About Russia on U.S. Policy.
6. TASS: Putin does not underestimate the danger of West’s provocations — Kremlin spokesman – tass.com/politics/1309559
7. TASS: Vedomosti: US, Russia embark on strategic weapons talks.
8. American Committee for US-Russia Accord: David C. Speedie, Promoting Rational Discussion On Russia Can Be A “Sisyphean” Task – usrussiaaccord.org/acura-viewpoint-david-c-speedie-promoting-rational-discussion-on-russia-can-be-a-sisyphean-task/
9. Counterpunch: Melvin Goodman, The Case for Negotiating With Adversaries – counterpunch.org/2021/07/01/the-case-for-negotiating-with-adversaries/
10. rt.com: Russia’s economic growth speeds up to nearly 11% in May – rt.com/business/528059-russia-economy-growth-may/
11. Intellinews: Russia’s business confidence at record highs, consumer confidence improving.
12. Interfax: Putin signs into law bill on ‘grounding’ Google, Facebook, other IT giants in Russia.
13. rt.com: Glenn Diesen, Spreading ‘human rights’ at the tip of a bayonet: the LGBT agenda has now become a tool in Western foreign policy across the globe. – rt.com/russia/528090-lgbt-agenda-tool-policy/
14. Responsible Statecraft: James Carden, Why Ostpolitik with Russia runs along East-West Euro divide. France and Germany are disenchanted with U.S. sanctions, but Poland and the Baltic states are far from ready for rapprochement.
15. rt.com: Scott Ritter, The NATO-Ukraine Sea Breeze exercise could ultimately help create the circumstances for real conflict with Russia in the Black Sea – rt.com/op-ed/528038-ukraine-nato-sea-breeze/
16. TASS: Media: Putin connects Russia and Ukraine through Direct Line.
17. TASS: Hatred for Russians instilled in Ukraine is ruinous for the country — Kremlin spokesman – tass.com/politics/1309549
18. Intellinews: Ben Aris, Russians had over 2mn questions for the Direct Line with Vladimir Putin.
19. gilbertdoctorow.com: Gilbert Doctorow, Vladimir Putin’s favorite book – gilbertdoctorow.com/2021/07/01/vladimir-putins-favorite-book/
20. Wall Street Journal: Russia’s Putin Challenges U.S. Leadership, Asserts Military Might. Russian president seeks to portray the U.S. as a waning power during an annual event at which he answers questions from ordinary citizens.
21. Meduza: ‘Direct line’ 2021. Putin discusses Sputnik V, local issues, and more in annual call-in show.
22. Moscow Times: Ilya Shepelin, Putin: The Man With All the Answers. Putin’s annual call-in show is meant to show everyday Russians that there is no problem in the country that escapes his all-encompassing vision.
24. Kremlin.ru: Direct Line with Vladimir Putin. (transcript continued) – en.kremlin.ru/events/president/transcripts/65973