RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2021-#116 :: Thursday, 3 June 2021
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2021-#116 :: Thursday, 3 June 2021
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. rt.com: Majority of Russians willing to pay higher taxes to provide improved services to country’s most poor & needy citizens, poll shows – rt.com/russia/525546-higher-taxes-needy-citizens-poll/
2. Levada.ru: Covid-19 Society: Most Russians unworried about coronavirus, poll suggests.
3. Paul Goble: Middle Class in Russia Plays Very Different Role than in Western Countries, Gontmakher Says.
4. Reuters: A Russian village prospers thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic
5. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with representatives of the United Russia party – en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/65730
6. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Russian pollster offers forecast of State Duma election results.
7. Moscow Times: Russia to Expand Anti-Magnitsky Sanctions Worldwide, Keep U.S. Adoption Ban
8. Bloomberg: Putin Defies Covid Risk, Political Strife With Flagship Forum
9. rt.com: Global investors continue to pour cash into Russia despite pandemic – EY – rt.com/business/525528-investors-pour-cash-into-russia/
10. Moscow Times: Russia’s Inflation Surge Is Not Temporary, Will Hurt Economy, Central Bank Warns. At ‘Russia’s Davos,’ Russia’s top economic policymakers debate how to tame price rises.
11. Bloomberg: Russia Cuts Dollar Holdings From $119 Billion Wealth Fund Amid Sanction
12. Russia Beyond: Why are Russian programmers the best in the world? – rbth.com/science-and-tech/333855-why-are-russian-programmers-best-in-the-world
13. Moscow Times: The 2021 Russian National Bestseller Award Goes to Alexander Pelevin. His winning novel “Pokrov-17” is a dystopian mystery.
14. rt.com: Paul Robinson, ‘The Raman empire?’ A dodgy Japanese noodle bar or the latest American NGO-driven attempt to weaponise spelling in Eastern Europe? – rt.com/russia/525539-roman-protasevich-western-weapon/
15. TASS: Izvestia: Geneva summit could bring about return of US, Russian ambassadors.
16. Responsible Statecraft: Daniel Larison, Biden’s grounding of Open Skies treaty is folly amid Russian tensions. And it’s a head-scratcher, since his campaign once called Trump’s withdrawal of the Cold War agreement ‘short-sighted.’
18. Reuters: Analysis: Hacks force Biden into more aggressive stance on Russia
19. The Spectator (UK): Raffaello Pantucci, Why Russia and China are competing to woo Belarus
20. Intellinews: Ben Aris, Belarus’ economy will collapse without Russia’s help. Belarus will run a budget deficit of some $2bn in 2021 and has no way to fund it without Russia’s help.
21. Paul Goble: Belarus Could Become a Normal European Country with Far Less Difficulty than Ukraine, Inozemtsev Says
22. Kennan Institute: Maxim Trudolyubov, Russian-Belarusian Codependence Highlighted in Wake of Forced Jet Landing
23. rt.com; Ryanair plane may have landed in Minsk due to fake bomb threat by angry opposition colleague, says Belarusian activist Protasevich – rt.com/russia/525562-ryanair-plane-opposition-threat/
24. Russian Foreign Ministry: Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov’s statement and answers to media questions at a news conference following the BRICS Foreign Ministers’ Meeting via videoconference, Moscow, June 1, 2021 (excerpt) – mid.ru/en/press_service/minister_speeches/-/asset_publisher/7OvQR5KJWVmR/content/id/4760543