RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2021-#110 :: Wednesday, 26 May 2021
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2021-#110 :: Wednesday, 26 May 2021
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Moscow Times: Russian Congress Seeking Inspiration From Medieval History Is Quashed by Authorities. The crackdown is being seen as a sign that the Kremlin is playing closer attention to local power structures ahead of fall elections.
2. rt.com: Russian parliament passes law to ban those involved with ‘extremist’ & ‘terrorist’ organizations from running for political office – rt.com/russia/524848-parliament-law-political-office-extremism/
3. Moscow Times: 80% of Russian Business Owners Fear Arbitrary Arrest. Most entrepreneurs say Russia is not safe for business and that court rulings are not independent.
4. Riddle: Nick Trickett, Mishustin and the Politics of Stagflation – ridl.io/en/mishustin-and-the-politics-of-stagflation/
5. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, SEPARATING THE DOMESTIC FROM THE INTERNATIONAL: OR WHATABOUT WHATABOUTISM? – irrussianality.wordpress.com/2021/05/25/separating-the-domestic-from-the-international-or-whatabout-whataboutism/
6. rt.com: Glenn Diesen, Belarus’ grounding of a passenger jet is shocking – but it’s not unprecedented, and the West should remember it has done the same – rt.com/russia/524845-grounding-passenger-jet-west/
7. rt.com: Gabriel Gavin By trying to link Russia & Nord Stream 2 to Belarus’ grounding of plane, Western talking heads have failed to understand crisis – rt.com/russia/524844-nord-stream-link-plane-grounding/
8. The National Interest: Mark Episkopos, The Real Significance of the Biden-Putin Summit in Geneva. Biden and Putin, who have met previously, are likely to shun diplomatic pleasantries and get down to business. It can’t come soon enough.
9. TASS: Vedomosti: Putin-Biden summit to be held in Geneva on June 16.
10. TASS: Kremlin sees no reset after Russia-US summit, but says its role shouldn’t be played down.
11. New York Times: Biden and Putin to Meet in Mid-June, in a Summit Fraught With Tensions. The meeting comes at the worst point in Russian-American relations since the fall of the Soviet Union about 30 years ago.
12. AP: Kremlin tempers expectations for Putin-Biden summit in June
13. Anitwar.com: Ray McGovern, Is the Biden-Putin Summit Doomed? – original.antiwar.com/mcgovern/2021/05/25/is-the-biden-putin-summit-doomed/
14. The Barents Observer (Norway): Tackling dumped nuclear waste gets priority in Russia’s Arctic Council leadership. The reactors from the submarines K-11, K-19, and K-140, plus the entire submarine K-27 and spent uranium fuel from one of the old reactors of the Lenin-icebreaker have to be lifted from the seafloor and secured.
15. Russia Matters: Mark Katz, Russia’s Competing Policy Interests in Syria and the Middle East.
16. The Conversation: Kevork Oskanian, Nagorno-Karabakh: in the aftermath of war, Armenia faces an unpalatable choice
17. Military.com: Biggest Navy Exercise in a Generation Will Include 25,000 Personnel Across 17 Time Zones
18. Paul Goble: Putin’s Aggressiveness Uniting West against Russia and Powering Its Search for Modus Vivendi with China, Shevtsova Says
19. Washington Post: David Ignatius, The barrier of fear is breaking in Belarus
20. Wall Street Journal: Holman W. Jenkins, Jr., Two Grifters and a Dossier. The cumulation of evidence suggests Christopher Steele was a complete phony.