RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2020-#222 :: Thursday, 10 December 2020
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2020-#222 :: Thursday, 10 December 2020
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. TASS: Putin sees prospects for creating domestic human rights court in Russia.
2. TASS: Putin labels attempts to bring high treason charges for public data transfer as ‘nonsense’
3. Kremlin.ru: Meeting of Council for Civil Society and Human Rights – en.kremlin.ru/events/president/transcripts/64638
4. Kremlin.ru: Meeting on economic matters – en.kremlin.ru/events/president/transcripts/64624
5. Wall Street Journal: Russia Struggles to Make Promised Doses of Its Sputnik V Vaccine. Country turns to private drug companies as equipment problems and technical challenges hit year-end manufacturing targets.
6. Moscow Times: ‘Gross Violation’: In Open Letter, Russian Scientists Criticize Lack of Vaccine Data. Russia has launched mass Sputnik V vaccinations. But concerns over weak data and cut corners continue to mount.
7. rt.com: Nasty Russian needles & brave British grannies! BBC’s politicised Covid vaccine schizophrenia plays into hands of anti-vaxxers – rt.com/russia/509126-sputnik-vaccine-bbc-attack/
8. Financial Times: Russia’s regions hit hard by Covid second wave. Outside Moscow, hospitals are struggling to cope as infections spiral
9. Meduza: Russia’s democracy starts when its rulers stop appointing their own adversaries. (Fyodor Krasheninnikov) [republic.ru/posts/98870]
10. Moscow Times: Russia Moves to Further Curb Protests
11. Meduza: Levada Center: Youth support for Putin drops to 20 percent.
12. rt.com: Expected polling bounce for Navalny fails to materialize as trust rating drops; Putin also down, Communists & Nationalists up – rt.com/russia/509252-navalny-putin-rating-drop/
13. TASS: Foreign funding of organizations in Russia often pursues containment aims, says Putin – tass.com/politics/1233637
14. Moscow Times: Vladimir Slivyak, An Epidemic of Foreign Agents. The proposed new law on ‘foreign agents’ gives carte blanche to law enforcement officials who subscribe to conspiracy theories.
15. Vedomosti: Russian daily says elite, not opposition, to be main victim of foreign agent law.
16. TASS: Persistent resistance: West rattled by Russia’s success as independent power, says Lavrov.
17. Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov’s remarks at the general meeting of the Russian International Affairs Council, Moscow, December 8, 2020 – mid.ru/en/press_service/minister_speeches/-/asset_publisher/7OvQR5KJWVmR/content/id/4470074
18. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: ‘Political time bomb’ ticking over Nord Stream 2 pipeline project.
19. rt.com: Fyodor Lukyanov, The end of Ostpolitik: Dream of Europe ‘whole & free’ over as Russian-German friendship fades & Moscow pivots to Asia – rt.com/russia/509221-germany-friendship-fade-asia/
20. rt.com: ‘Upper Volta with helium?’ Russia’s new status as squeaky-voiced ‘superpower’ makes it a threat, says New York Times – rt.com/russia/509157-helium-superpower-world-economy/
21. Washington Post editorial: Biden must call out Putin’s secret war against the United States.
22. rt.com: Who caused ‘Havana syndrome’? With latest research naming no culprit, MSM rushes to declare Russia ‘microwave’ exposure mastermind – rt.com/usa/508829-havana-syndrome-russia-blamed/