RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2020-#217 :: Thursday, 3 December 2020
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2020-#217 :: Thursday, 3 December 2020
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. TASS: Flawed exceptionalism: Lavrov slams West’s contempt for other nations’ bona fide interests.
2. Intellinews: Russia to start mass vaccinations on December 7. President Putin has ordered Deputy Prime Minister Tatyana Golikova to begin mass vaccinations to start the roll-out of mass vaccinations from next week as the first 2mn doses are made available. The government will start with healthcare workers, OAPs and the army.
3. rt.com: Producing Sputnik V is ‘a complex task’ but we’ll handle it – Russian Covid-19 vaccine manufacturer to RT – rt.com/russia/508554-russian-sputnikv-vaccone-manufacturer/
4. Moscow Times: 5 Questions About Russia’s Sputnik V Vaccine, Answered.
5. AFP: Legendary director of Pushkin Museum dies of coronavirus.
6. Meduza: After the inevitable. Carnegie Moscow Center focus-group study finds consensus among Russians on social spending, but strongly divergent views when it comes to economic and foreign policy.
7. MEMRI (The Middle East Media Research Institute): Renowned Russian Academic Karaganov: Russia Needs To Endorse ‘Neo-Isolationism,’ Create A New ‘National Ideology’
8. Financial Times: Henry Foy, ‘Foreign agent’: Putin’s new crackdown on the opposition. The Russian president is hypersensitive over potential threats and is rushing to smother rising dissent.
9. RFE/RL: Russia’s Next Economic ‘Shock’ Likely To Come From Impoverished Regions, Experts Say.
10. Moscow Times: Putin Replaces Rusnano Chief Chubais Amid Reform Push.
11. Keough School of Global Affairs (Notre Dame): Susanne Wengle, What can a chicken nugget from Russia tell us about technology, agriculture and human development?
12. rt.com: Russian justice minister claims $50 billion Yukos case shows West waging ‘legal war’ on Moscow & says it should fight back – rt.com/russia/508557-yukos-case-legal-war/
13. rt.com: NATO says ‘intimidating’ Russia BIGGEST threat to bloc till at least 2030 – plans to send warships to Black Sea – rt.com/russia/508476-nato-threat-warships-plan/
14. TASS: Still time to extend New START, says Russian envoy to US – tass.com/world/1230771
15. TASS: RBC: Experts explain reasons behind Armenia’s defeat in Nagorno-Karabakh.
16. rt.com: A split in Belarus’ opposition? Kolesnikova hints at talks with embattled Lukashenko but Tikhanovskaya favors West’s intervention – rt.com/russia/508563-belarus-opposition-negotiations-split/
17. AP: Thousands rally in Moldova in support of pro-EU president.
18. Wall Street Journal: Notable & Quotable: Russians. ‘Bloomberg and Sheldon Adelson call your political operatives! You’ve been ripped off.’
19. strategic-culture.org editorial: U.S. Election ‘Success’… And Hey Presto ‘Russian Interference’ Disappears – strategic-culture.org/news/2020/11/27/us-election-success-and-hey-presto-russian-interference-disappears/
20. Russia Beyond: 10 ideas for Russian-style Christmas gifts – rbth.com/lifestyle/333078-russian-style-christmas-gift