RUSSIA NEWS & INFORMATION – Johnson’s Russia List contents & links :: JRL 2020-#150 :: Thursday, 20 August 2020
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2020-#150 :: Thursday, 20 August 2020
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. New York Times editorial: The Trump Campaign Accepted Russian Help to Win in 2016. Case Closed. “Cooperation” or “collusion” or whatever. It was a plot against American democracy.
2. Washington Post editorial: The Senate’s findings on Russian interference are explosive. They shouldn’t be ignored.
3. Wall Street Journal editorial: The Russian Grassy Knoll. The collusion conspiracy theorists keep looking for a second shooter.
4. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, NEGATIVE ASSUMPTIONS (Re Senate Intelligence Committee)
5. jonathanturley.org: Jonathan Turley, Senate Intelligence Report Is Long On Pages And Short On Intelligence.
6. rt.com: Kremlin, WikiLeaks, hackers, trolls, you name it: US spies’ OBSESSION with RT comes full circle in Senate report – rt.com/usa/498476-senate-russiagate-report-rt-obsession/
7. American Committee for East-West Accord: David Speedie, Russiagate and the New “Conspiracism”
8. Reuters: Russia to Begin COVID-19 Vaccine Trials on 40,000 People Next Week.
9. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with Accounts Chamber Head Alexei Kudrin – en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/63914
10. Moscow Times: Coronavirus Pandemic Rebalances Russia’s Corporate Landscape. Earnings season shows tech companies setting record-high share prices, and closing the gap on Russia’s energy giants.
11. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Gas Realism – unz.com/akarlin/gas-realism/
12. TASS: Kremlin vows should Navalny’s poisoning be confirmed, an investigation will follow.
13. rt.com: ‘Navalny’s condition is stable, but his life is in danger and we are working to save it’ – doctor treating Moscow protest leader – rt.com/russia/498524-navalny-poisoning-danger-condition/
14. rt.com: Alexey Navalny ‘in coma’ after falling ill on flight from Siberia, spokeswoman suspects Moscow protest leader’s tea was ‘poisoned’ – rt.com/russia/498486-navalny-hospitalized-suspected-poisoning/
15. rt.com: ‘We wish him a speedy recovery’: Putin’s spokesman open to possibility of protest leader Navalny going abroad for treatment.
16. Intellinews: Ben Aris, Belarus’ President Lukashenko launches a counteroffensive against protests in co-ordination with Moscow. OMON riot police were back on the streets of Minsk as Lukashenko launched his counteroffensive against the protests in co-ordination with Moscow, which has launched a new more aggressive campaign against the demonstrators.
17. Intellinews: James Pearce, Why Belarus is exceptional. There have been a lot of comparisons between Belarus’ revolution and the other “coloured” revolutions in the former Soviet Union space, but looking more closely the similarities are only superficial.
18. rt.com: ‘We want to be a bridge between East & West’: Belarus opposition does NOT plan to end country’s ‘deep’ relationship with Russia.
19. TASS: Belarusian opposition ready for contacts with Russia.
20. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Belarus Sitrep 4 – unz.com/akarlin/belarus-sitrep-4/
21. Russia Briefing: Chris Devonshire-Ellis, Belarus Situation Shows The Downside Of Continuing A USSR Mentality Of Over-Stability, Autocratic Rule And Lack Of Progression. – russia-briefing.com/news/belarus-situation-shows-the-downside-of-continuing-a-ussr-mentality-of-over-stability-autocratic-rule-and-lack-of-progression.html/
22. Awful Avalanche: Belorus Sitrep: Opps Coordination Council + Potash Strike – Part II – awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2020/08/20/belorus-sitrep-opps-coordination-council-potash-strike-part-ii/
23. The Nation: Stephen Crowley, The Factory Joins the Square: Putin’s Nightmare Unfolds in Belarus. To overcome further economic stagnation that could lead to unrest, Russia will have to wrestle with a sizable Soviet legacy.
24. Meduza: Of two minds. Russia’s mass media and state officials can’t seem to decide where they stand on Alexander Lukashenko. That’s because the Kremlin doesn’t know, either.
25. Carnegie Moscow Center: Eugene Rumer, Turmoil in Belarus: Looking Beyond the Horizon. Friends of Belarus need to recognize that a revolution is not the end, but merely the beginning of what is certain to be a long and difficult road toward making it a “normal country.”
26. Financial Times: Putin prepares for a controlled succession in Belarus. Russia seeks to protect its influence over longtime client state following disputed election.
27. Consortium News: Joe Lauria, There’s Enough Blame to Go Around in Belarus . There are many similarities to what is happening in Minsk today to what happened in Kiev in 2014, but there are also significant differences – consortiumnews.com/2020/08/20/theres-enough-blame-to-go-around-in-belarus/
28. Infobrics.org: Have no doubt: it’s in the West’s interest to see Lukashenko topple – infobrics.org/post/31601
29. The Unz Review: The Saker, Will Belarus Become the Next Banderastan? – unz.com/tsaker/will-belarus-become-the-next-banderastan/
30. Valdai Discussion Club: Timofei Bordachev, Russia and the Conflict Between China and the United States – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/russia-and-the-conflict-between-china/
31. The National Interest: New START: Why An Extension Is In America’s National Interest. Failing to renew the New START arms control treaty with Russia “is not a wise direction of travel,” said Rose Gottemoeller, a former Deputy Secretary General of NATO who ranked as one of President Barack Obama’s top nuclear security experts.
32. New Europe (Brussels): Yuri Polakiwsky, The Maidan era in Ukraine is over.
33. Russia Matters: Lincoln Pigman, Exposing Putin’s Hidden Riches Won’t Stop Russia’s Election Meddling
34. Antiwar.com: Matt Taibbi on the Origins of the Russiagate Hoax. A New Whistleblower Exposes the ‘Cambridge Four’ (excerpt) – original.antiwar.com/scott/2020/08/19/matt-taibbi-on-the-origins-of-the-russiagate-hoax/