RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2016-93 :: Tuesday, 24 May 2016
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2016-#93
Tuesday, 24 May 2016
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or the George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. The Sunday Times (UK): The Interview: Mikhail Gorbachev. “The Americans squandered the trust we’d built.” Interview by Mark Franchetti.
2. Sputnik: Ukraine Threatens to Ban Gorbachev From Entering Europe.
3. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Vladimir Mikheev, Dystopia 2041: The U.S. isolated and ostracized by the East. Why are Moscow’s arguments in favor of what Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov calls “polycentric architecture” for the world and its insistence that there will be no more “business as usual” with the West, especially with the United States, constantly either misheard or misinterpreted?
4. Russia Direct: ASEAN summit, primaries in Russia and Montenegro joining NATO. Russian media roundup: Last week attention was focused on the ASEAN-Russia summit in Sochi, United Russia’s primaries and Montenegro’s decision to join NATO.
5. TASS: Medvedev: all proposals of primaries’ participants to be taken into account.
6. BBC Monitoring: Russian press sees United Russia primaries as rehearsal for Duma vote.
7. Rethinking Russia: United Russia’s Primaries for State Duma Elections.
8. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Medvedev: Global community must work together to regulate internet. The Russian prime minister has urged the international community to act together in addressing global challenges.
9. TASS: Russia’s economy will return to growth by end of 2016 – minister.
10. Intellinews.com: Russia issues 10-year Eurobond despite sanctions.
11. www.rt.com: World Bank sees business climate improvement in Russia.
12. US-Russia Business Council: MED: A Return To 5-7 Percent Growth “Practically Impossible”
13. TASS: Russian economy to stay “at the bottom” without reforms – official. (Alexey Kurdin)
14. Politkom.ru: Russian ex-minister’s plan bound to face opposition. (Tatyana Stanovaya on Kudrin)
15. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Putin Should Heed This Russian’s Warning on Oil.
16. Valdai Discussion Club: DO SANCTIONS DEFINE THE RULES OF TRADE? VALDAI EXPERTS DISCUSS THE FUTURE OF WTO.
17. The Citizen (India): Roberto Savio, Is it in Europe’s Interest to Push Russia into China’s Arms?
18. Consortiumnews.com: James Carden, Does Russia Have Reason to Fear?
19. TASS: US facilities capable of intercepting Russian strategic missiles – envoy.
20. http://theduran.com: Vladimir Kozin, Anti-Ballistic Missle Defence – The US Provocation That Threatens World Peace. The US and NATO ground missile complex “Aegis Ashore” at the Deveselu Air Force in Romania is not a harmless defensive facility.
21. Sputnik: Why Obama Accused Russia of Showing No Interest in Nuke Reduction.
22. The National Interest: Olga Oliker, No, Russia Isn’t Trying to Make Nuclear War Easier. The evidence that Moscow plans to “escalate to de-escalate” is weak.
23. www.rt.com: US spy plane flew ‘dangerously close’ to passenger jets near Russian border – MoD.
24. Russia Direct: James Carden, Will President Trump improve US-Russian relations? The growing consensus is that Donald Trump, if elected U.S. president, would push for stronger relations with Russia. But is that really the case?
25. Sputnik: How I Learned to Stop Worrying: Poland to Teach Children How to Love NATO.
26. Sputnik: Long-Suffering Baltic Russians No Fifth Column Despite Discrimination.
27. The Unz Review: Philip Giraldi, How the World Ends. Baiting Russia is not good policy.
28. Carnegie Moscow Center: Andrei Kolesnikov, Don’t Rock the Boat: How Long Can Putin Avoid Capsizing?
29. www.foreignaffairs.com: Timothy Frye, Why IR Theory Gets Russia Wrong. Moscow’s Predictably Unpredictable Politics.
30. Jamestown Foundation’s Eurasia Daily Monitor: Pavel Baev, The Futility of Dialogue With Putin.
31. Paul Goble: Degradation of Russian Elites Underlies Russia’s Decline, Pastukhov Says.
32. The Guardian: ‘Anti-travelogue’ on Putin’s Russia wins £10,000 Ondaatje prize. Nothing Is True and Everything Is Possible by Peter Pomerantsev takes prize honouring writers who best ‘evoke the spirit of a place’
33. The Globe and Mail (Canada): Former U.S. diplomat criticizes Canada’s ‘weakness’ on Russia. (Michael McFaul)
34. Facebook: Ivan Katchanovski, Maiden Massacre.