RUSSIA & UKRAINE: JRL 2015-#29 table of contents with links :: Monday 16 February 2015
Johnson’s Russia List
JRL 2015-#29 :: Monday 16 February 2015
A project of the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs: www.ieres.org
JRL homepage: russialist.org
JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist
JRL on Twitter: twitter.com/JohnsonRussiaLi
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php
1. Gallup.com: Americans Increasingly See Russia as Threat, Top U.S. Enemy.
2. Commonweal: Margaret O’Brien Steinfels, Remember the Battle of Tannenberg.
3. Vice News: Alec Luhn, Escape from Debaltseve: How One Convoy Made It Out of Ukraine’s Besieged City.
4. http://slavyangrad.org: The Tragedy of Uglegorsk: Exodus from the “City of the Dead”
5. TASS: Over 2.5 mln Ukrainians in Russia, 900,000 from Donbas – migration service.
6. www.rt.com: Kiev, rebels accuse each other of breaching ceasefire, heavy artillery withdrawal in doubt.
7. Reuters: Battle rages for town where Ukraine rebels reject ceasefire.
8. Counterpunch.org: Halyna Mokrushyna, If it Ain’t Broken, Don’t Fix It. Ukrainian Healthcare and the Inept Reforms of New Ukrainian Westernizers.
9. RIA Novosti: Ukraine rebel spokesman upbeat on cease-fire prospects despite “violations”
10. TASS: Donetsk republic says no weaponry withdrawal until Kiev stops shellings.
11. Inter TV(Kyiv): Ukraine says committed to peace deal, urges Russia to withdraw troops from east.(interview with Ukrainian Foreign Minister Pavlo Klimkin)
12. Huffington Post: Nikolas Kozloff, Welcome to Ukraine: One of the ‘Biggest Kleptocracies in the World’
13. Kyiv Post: Ivan Verstyuk, Ukraine, Russia moving farther apart as nations
14. www.rt.com: Famous Soviet football champ refuses to fight for Kiev in E. Ukraine.
15. Sputnik: Alexander Mercouris, Euromaidan Extremism is Putting Ukraine’s Unity at Risk.
16. Paul Goble: Putin ‘Will Not Advance Further’ in Ukraine, Kyiv Journalist Says.
17. Politkom.ru: Russian commentator says Ukraine peace deal makes new war “inevitable.” (Tatyana Stanovaya)
18. Financial Times: Niall Ferguson, The meaning of the Minsk agreement.
19. Fort Russ: Eric Zuesse, Evidence About the Connection Between the Ukrainian Coup and Crimea’s Breakaway.
20. Financial Times: Gideon Rachman, Russian hearts, minds and refrigerators. Rather than engage Putin on the battlefield, it makes more sense to hit the economy.
21. RussEurope: Jacques Sapir, Can the Minsk agreement be saved?
22. European Voice: Edward Lucas, What might scare Putin’s regime? Both arming Ukraine and the Merkel-Hollande diplomatic initiative may do more harm than good.
23. Moscow Times: Putin Evokes Tolstoy 26 Years After Soviet Troops Pulled Out of Afghanistan.
24. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with veterans’ organisations representatives.
25. http://blogs.lexpress.fr: Jacques Attali, Russia should be our ally.
26. Forbes.com: Marcel Michelson, Ukraine Truce Will Only Hold If Deeper Tension In Europe Abates.
27. TASS: Russian government to use $50 oil forecast to amend budget – PM Medvedev.
27a. Business New Europe: PERSPECTIVE: Russia’s investment climate plummets.
28. Interfax: Novak: inability to borrow worse than low oil prices.
29. Financial Post: Lawrence Solomon, Russia’s rise.
30. www.emergingmarkets.me: S&P’s junk grade for Russia no bombshell – Swiss banker.
31. Bloomberg: Putin Lets Consumers Feel Pain as Russian Slump Deepens: Economy.
32. Washington Post: Jackson Diehl, A businessman learns from a bad investment in Putin. (re William Browder)
33. http://therealnews.com: Has the IMF Annexed Ukraine? Michael Hudson Report: Finance is a new kind of war and forced sell offs that the IMF is imposing is a new kind of battle ground.
34. http://michael-hudson.com: Michael Hudson, Ukraine denouement.
35. www.rt.com: 100,000-strong ‘anti-crisis’ rally planned for Moscow.
36. Moscow Times: Ex-Finance Minister Kudrin Steps Into Spotlight as Russia’s Crisis Grows.
37. Paul Goble: Russia in Far Worse Shape than Most Assume, Moscow Commentator Says.
38. Moscow Times: John Freedman, Embattled Teatr.doc Proudly Returns to the Stage.
39. Sputnik: What’s Wrong With Them? East European Leaders the West Prefers to Demonize.
40. Sputnik: Kiev Residents Turn Apartments Into Bunkers Amid Rising Crime Rates.
41. TASS: Over 265,000 Ukrainians granted temporary shelter, refugee status in Russia.
42. Interfax: German doctors confirm that Savchenko is fine – Russian Federal Penitentiary Service.
43. Interfax: Court finds high treason suspect Davydova’s arrest unlawful.
44. New York Times: The Saturday Profile. A Russian TV Insider Describes a Modern Propaganda Machine. (re Peter Pomerantsev)
45. https://irrussianality.wordpress.com: Paul Robinson, BOOK REVIEW. NOTHING IS TRUE. (re Michael Weiss and Peter Pomerantsev)
46. https://irrussianality.wordpress.com: Paul Robinson, SILENCE OF THE COWS. (re Michael Weiss and Peter Pomerantsev)
47. Facebook: Ellen Mickiewicz. re New York Times and Pomerantsev.
48. Facebook: Mark H. Teeter. re Russian media.
49. Consortiumnews.com: Robert Parry, The Putin-Did-It Conspiracy Theory.
50. www.project-syndicate.org: Yuriy Gorodnichenko, Gerard Roland, and Edward Walker, Putin’s European Fifth Column. (DJ: Note the naming of Stephen Cohen in this piece.)
51. http://reconsideringrussia.org: Pietro A. Shakarian, L’affaire Stephen F. Cohen – and Academic Dissent and Division on Ukraine.