RUSSIA & UKRAINE: JRL 2015-#26 table of contents with links :: Thursday 12 February 2015
Johnson’s Russia List
JRL 2015-#26 :: Thursday 12 February 2015
A project of the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs: www.ieres.org
JRL homepage: russialist.org
JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist
JRL on Twitter: twitter.com/JohnsonRussiaLi
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php
1. Reuters: ‘Glimmer of hope’ for Ukraine after deal at Minsk peace summit.
2. Business New Europe: 17hr peace talk marathon produces partial peace deal for Ukraine.
3. Kyiv Post: Poroshenko, Putin agree on cease-fire in eastern Ukraine (UPDATES)
4. Kyiv Post: A complex of measures to fulfill the Minsk agreements. (text of agreement)
5. http://slavyangrad.org: Minsk Agreement 2.0. (text)
6. Kremlin.ru: Normandy format talks. (Putin)
7. www.rt.com: Ukraine peace deal: Ceasefire starting February 15, removal of heavy weapons.
8. www.rt.com: The Minsk ceasefire deal, point by point.
9. TASS: Ukraine is to define Donbas territories with special status by mid-March – document.
10. TASS: Message from Minsk talks positive but key issues still to be addressed – analysts. (Rogov, Arbatov, Karaganov)
11. Moscow Times: Analysts: A Simple Cease-Fire Won’t Bring Lasting Peace to Ukraine.
12. Paul Goble: From a Munich in Moscow to a Munich in Minsk — How Europe has Come to Putin’s Aid.
13. Russia Insider: Alexander Mercouris, How to Make Sense of Ukraine Peace Talks.
14. www.foreignpolicy.com: Mark Galeotti, Putin’s Countermove. As the peace talks in Minsk go nowhere fast, Moscow is preparing to cement its gains before Western weapons can make an impact.
15. The Interpreter: Catherine A. Fitzpatrick, Former Russian Intelligence Officers Behind Boisto “Track II” Talks – and Now the Flawed Minsk Agreement.
16. BBC: The untold story of the Maidan massacre.
17. Business New Europe: IMF agrees $17.5bn facility with Ukraine to give total aid package of $40bn.
18. Kyiv Post: Layoffs start amid tumbling Ukraine economy, hryvnia.
19. www.rt.com: 5 yrs for ‘denying Russian aggression’: Ukraine may criminalize anti-war speech.
20. The Economist: What Russia is up to in Ukraine.
21. Vedomosti: Aleksey Nikolskiy, Petr Kozlov, and Yelena Vinogradova: Why talks on a peace settlement in the Donets basin have stalled. The whole world is asking what Russia and its president want from neighbouring Ukraine. Vedomosti has collected the scenarios that are being discussed in Vladimir Putin’s entourage.
22. Moscow Times: Would a Ukraine Peace Deal in Minsk Save the Russian Economy?
23. Russia Direct: Alexey Kozlov, Oil prices and the Russian economy: Is there any silver lining? As 2015 sets in, Russia’s economy is bracing for tougher times ahead. It remains to be seen if the Kremlin will be able to use the crisis to conduct structural economic reforms.
24. Forbes.com: Mark Adomanis, Is Russia’s Economy Rebalancing In The Face Of Western Sanctions? Not Really.
25. Wall Street Journal: U.S. Weapons to Ukraine Could Take Months, Officials Say. Supply Shortages, Pentagon Bureaucracy Complicate Sending of Lethal Aid.
26. Foxnews.com: US sending around 600 paratroopers to Ukraine to train troops.
27. Moscow Times: Dmitry Gorenburg, West Must Either Commit to Ukraine or Back Off.
28. Wall Street Journal: Robert Kaplan, Countering Putin’s Grand Strategy. With Europe weak and distracted, only the U.S. can thwart the Kremlin’s growing ambitions.
29. Foreign Affairs: Alexander Motyl, The West Should Arm Ukraine. Here’s Why-And How.
30. Conflict and Compromise: Competing visions on Ukraine.
31. www.businessinsider.com: Obama describes how he views Putin and Russia.
32. Reuters: Arming Ukraine could lead to escalation of Russian support – think-tank. (International Institute for Strategic Studies)
33. Newsweek.com: Ukraine Crisis Prompts New Domino Theory.
34. Fort Russ: Why doesn’t the Ukrainian military participate in Ukrainian attacks?
35. New York Times: Andrew Higgins, In Ukraine, It’s Putin’s Game.
36. AP: Draft Dodging Growing Concern in Ukraine During Ongoing Russia Conflict.
37. Brookings Institution: Stephen Pifer and Strobe Talbott, Arming the Ukrainians and Russia’s Reaction.
38. Atlantic Council: The Ukraine Crisis: Withstand and Deter Russian Aggression. (transcript of conference with John Herbst, Jan Lodal, Steven Pifer, Strobe Talbott, and Fredrick Kempe)