RUSSIA & UKRAINE: JRL 2015-#101 table of contents with links :: Johnson’s Russia List – Friday, May 22, 2015
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2015-#101 :: Friday 22 May 2015
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or the George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org
JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist
JRL on Twitter: twitter.com/JohnsonRussiaLi
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York and the Open Society Foundations to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. The National Interest: Rajan Menon, Avoiding a New ‘Cuban Missile Crisis’ in Ukraine. Unlike in 1962, Russia has geography and national will on its side in Ukraine.
2. http://newcoldwar.org: New video showing Euromaidan snipers firing on police and protesters on Feb 20, 2014.
3. www.rt.com: ‘Humanitarian suicide’: Kiev backtracks on human rights pledge in Eastern Ukraine.
4. UNIAN (Kyiv): Ukrainian prisoners in Donbas made slaves in Chechnya, relatives say.
5. Kyiv Post: Ready To Fight: Right Sector sets up camp in Dnipropetrovsk Oblast.
6. The Guardian (UK): Alec Luhn, Ukraine bans Soviet symbols and criminalises sympathy for communism.
7. Haaretz (Israel): Ukraine to honor groups that killed Jews in World War II.
8. http://gordonhahn.com: Gordon Hahn, UPDATED ‘Right Sector’ Leadership and Structure Update.
9. Washington Post editorial: The U.S. continues to send the wrong message to Russia.
10. Moscow Times: Shoigu at 60: The Man Who Would Be Russia’s King?
11. Wall Street Journal: Move to Shift Vote for Russian Duma Seen Benefitting Putin. Support grows for holding parliamentary elections three months earlier, in September 2016.
12. Brookings Institution: Sergey Aleksashenko, The ruble currency storm is over, but is the Russian economy ready for the next one?
13. Russia Beyond the Headlines: TROIKA REPORT: Hopes of a reset for U.S.-Russia relations, the implications of a sanctions-free Iran, why India-China rapprochement suits Moscow.
14. Russia Beyond the Headlines/Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Sergei Lavrov: Talk of U.S.-Saudi conspiracy over oil market is misguided. Was the fall in oil prices a conspiracy between the U.S. and the Saudi sheiks? Would Russia be ready to help the United States if the need arose? Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov responded to these and other questions during a recent visit to the office of Rossiyskaya Gazeta.
15. Russia Insider: Alexander Mercouris, EU Prepares to Abandon Ukraine. Kremlin discloses details of high-level negotiations with EU that would change Association Agreement beyond all recognition, forever ending any prospect of Ukraine’s integration with the West and the EU.
16. New York Times: Disenchanted With Europe, Moldovans Shift Their Focus to Russia.
17. Club Orlov: Dmitry Orlov, No, you can’t go back to the USSR!
18. Pietro Shakarian: New Reconsidering Russia Podcast: Yuri Zhukov on the Rebellion in Donbas.
19. The Daily Telegraph (UK): Eurovision 2015 favourite: Russia. Russian beauty Polina Gagarina is one of the top-tips to win the Eurovision Song Contest 2015. Charlotte Runcie explains why.
20. Valdai Discussion Club: Yevgeny Kopatko, Donetsk People’s Republic: Independence or Autonomy as a Part of Ukraine?