RUSSIA & UKRAINE: JRL 2014-#234 table of contents with links :: Monday 10 November 2014
Johnson’s Russia List
JRL 2014-#234 :: Monday 10 November 2014
A project of the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs: www.ieres.org
JRL homepage: russialist.org
JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist me
JRL on Twitter: twitter.com/JohnsonRussiaLi
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php
1. Financial Times: Gorbachev Warns World on “the Brink of a New Cold War”
2. The Huffington Post: Mikhail Gorbachev, My Appeal to Our Leaders and to All of Us: Let Us Think, Propose and Act Together. (text of speech)
3. RFE/RL: Pentagon Can’t Confirm New Russian Deployment In Ukraine.
4. www.rt.com: US, NATO say no evidence of new ‘Russian invasion’ of Ukraine.
5. The Vineyard of the Saker: Ukraine SITREP November 9th, 22:25 UTC/Zulu: A creeping conflict.
6. TASS: Head of DNR: we know names of Ukrainian gunners responsible for shelling school.
7. TASS: Ukraine’s pro-Kiev volunteer battalions pose threat to security – Kiev prosecutor.
8. http://fortruss.blogspot.com: Right Sector deputy wants to execute deputies and ministers at a stadium.
9. Euromaidan Press: Frontline stories. “We Right Sector fighters don’t get captured. They kill us right away”
10. Reuters: Hard Ukraine bargaining leaves sour taste for some in EU.
11. RIA Novosti: The Ukrainian president will prevent the country’s split on the linguistic issue.
12. TASS: Ukraine’s self-proclaimed republics’ leaders say Minsk agreements do not work.
13. The Independent (UK): Russia and the West need a compromise over the Crimea. A peaceful peninsula would benefit Russia and Europe as well as Ukraine. Alexander Lebedev and Vladislav Inozemtsev explain how – and why.
14. Ivan Katchanovski: Interview with Metro World News Regarding Russian-Ukrainian Relations and the Conflict in Donbas.
15. www.rt.com: Bryan MacDonald, Almost 12 months on from Maidan… how Ukraine was destroyed.
16. Reuters: Putin blames Ukraine for obstructing MH17 inquiry.
17. www.rt.com: German Foreign Ministry plays down intel report claiming Ukraine militia downed MH17.
18. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Growing political divide observed among Russian nationalists. (Leonid Radzikhovskiy)
19. www.rt.com: Putin: ‘Love is the meaning of life’
20. LA Progressive: Murray Polner, Putin, Putin, Putin, Putin & More Putin.
21. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Andrey Sushentsov, Can Russia and NATO agree to disagree? The Ukrainian crisis is just the latest example of this failure of the Russian Federation and the West to create a post-Cold War world order.
22. TASS: Will Putin, Obama use APEC, G20 summits as chance to ease Russia-West tensions?
23. Interfax: Moscow says Silk Road route may go via Russia.
24. Reuters: Russia, China ink framework deal on second major gas supply deal.
25. New York Times: As Russia Draws Closer to China, U.S. Faces a New Challenge.
26. Russia & India Report: Rakesh Krishnan Simha, Why Putin is winning the new Cold War. The Russian President is using asymmetrical strategies to stop – and ultimately bring down – the enemies of the Russian state.
27. Russia Insider: Byzantium, Republican Win: US Likely to Send Lethal Arms to Kiev.
28. Interfax: Russians see historic significance of fall of Berlin Wall in Germany’s reunion – poll.
29. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Reports that never were: The Soviet silence on the fall of the Berlin Wall.
30. The Huffington Post: Nathan Gardels, Why Gorbachev Feels Betrayed By The Post-Cold War West.
31. Russia Insider: Edward Lozansky, The West’s Fatal Russia Mistakes: 1989-2014.
32. New York Review of Books: Richard Pipes, The Cleverness of Joseph Stalin. (re Stephen Kotkin’s Stalin: Volume I: Paradoxes of Power, 1878-1928)
33. The Atlantic: Anne Applebaum, Understanding Stalin. Russian archives reveal that he was no madman, but a very smart and implacably rational ideologue.
34. www.rt.com: Winston Churchill wanted to nuke Kremlin ‘to win Cold War,’ FBI memo reveals.
35. Moscow Times: Stephen Norris, The Great War That Led to Imperial Apocalypse. (Joshua Sanborn’s Imperial Apocalypse: The Great War and the Destruction of the Russian Empire)
36. TASS: Georgia’s former president, interior minister face new criminal charges.
37. http://reconsideringrussia.org: Pietro A. Shakarian, Georgia: Crisis Averted.
38. Sputnik: Major New Media Brand ‘Sputnik’ Goes Live November 10. (DJ: RIA Novosti is dead. Valdai Discussion Club?)
39. William Brumfield, Kargopol.(photos)
40. From a Russian journalist Igor Rotar.