RUSSIA & UKRAINE: JRL 2014-#227 table of contents with links :: Sunday 2 November 2014
Johnson’s Russia List
JRL 2014-#227 :: Sunday 2 November 2014
A project of the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs: www.ieres.org
JRL homepage: russialist.org
JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist
JRL on Twitter: twitter.com/JohnsonRussiaLi
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php
1. Kyiv Post: Ukraine Today: Russia rehearses Ukraine invasion; Russian army practice combat along Ukraine border (VIDEO)
2. Interfax-Ukraine: Militants in eastern Ukraine receive over 5,000 uniforms of National Guard to use in provocations, says SBU.
3. Euromaidan Press: Putin plans to escalate conflict in Ukraine after Donetsk and Luhansk “elections”
4. RIA Novosti: Kiev Claims to Observe Movement of Military Equipment, Troops From Russia to Donbas.
5. www.inquisitr.com: World War 3: Russia Simulated Attack On Denmark, Could Be Preparing European Invasion.
6. Russia Insider: Top US Journalists Agree: “Putin is Like Hitler.” Worse than ISIS, Worse Than Stalin. Two of America’s most powerful journalists. “Ukraine is just the appetizer” – and Putin will attack the Baltic states says George Will. Krauthammer couldn’t agree more.
7. New York Times: Former U.S. Envoy to Moscow Says Russians Are Still Spying on Him.
8. Interfax-Ukraine: Central election commission informs with 99.99% of ballots counted, ‘People’s Front’ leading in Ukraine polls.
9. AFP: Ukraine soldiers to government: we’re coming for you next.
10. http://zik.ua: Lustration of officials picks up in Western Ukraine.
11. Paul Goble: Window on Eurasia: Kyivans Now Speaking Ukrainian, Underlining Russia’s Loss of Ukraine, Mirsky Says.
12. Window on Eurasia: Kyivans Now Speaking Ukrainian, Underlining Russia’s Loss of Ukraine, Mirsky Says.
13. New York Times: Ukrainians in the Battered East Scramble in Darkness as Winter Nears.
14. Reuters: Pro-Russian rebels vote for leaders in eastern Ukraine.
15. AFP: Separatist elections, troop movements rattle Ukraine.
16. RIA Novosti: Voter Turnout in Luhansk Almost 38%: Election Commission.
17. Kyiv Post: Occcupied Donbas enclaves vote with hope for peace and salaries.
18. www.rt.com: Donbass self-proclaimed republics vote to elect leaders, MPs.
19. Christian Science Monitor: Fred Weir, Could gas deal signal Russia – Ukraine detente? The accord is good news for millions of Ukrainians, who depend upon Russian gas to heat their homes and power their industries.
20. Reuters: John Lloyd, Ukraine’s vote proves Putin wrong and puts anti-Semitic past behind.
21. Voice of Russia: After Ukraine’s elections – what happens now?
22. RFE/RL: Can Lviv Mayor Change Ukrainian Politics Once And For All?
23. The American Interest: Steven Pifer, RUSSIA AND THE WEST. Taking Stock in Ukraine. Seven things to know about the crisis, Moscow’s and Kyiv’s actions, and the West’s response.
24. European Leadership Netwwork: Alexander Motyl, The Ukraine crisis according to John J. Mearshimer: Impeccable Logic, Wrong Facts.
25. RIA Novosti: Six Months After Odesa Massacre: Facts and Details.
26. http://therealnews.com: Oligarchs Consolidate Power in Ukraine after Parliamentary Elections (1/2). Professor Ivan Katchanovski says the elections were a victory for new oligarchic parties and the far right.
27. http://therealnews.com: Oligarchs Consolidate Power in Ukraine after Parliamentary Elections (2/2). The elections in Donestk and Lugansk could lead to the resumption of civil war, says Professor Ivan Katchanovski.